Prev: Re: [FT] WotW #11 Stealth Systems - review Next: RE: [FT] Ship Names

RE: FT-Sub systems

From: "David Rodemaker" <dar@h...>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 06:45:03 -0500
Subject: RE: FT-Sub systems

> Subs require a energy storage system to use thrust or weapons while
> submerged. This masses 5% of the ships mass, and can store x10
> it`s own mass
> in energy, with a nmin mass of 2 and a cost of x5.

My big complaint with this is that FT has managed to keep energy
management
out of 2/3 of the races at this point. UNless you are proposing that
subs be
a race-specific ship type (not a bad idea BTW, but I would rather that
cloaking variants be available to all) I would really prefer to keep it
that
way...

Anyone thought to reversing things? Make the cloaking/sub system so
large
(18+ Mass) that it has to be mounted on a capitol ship-sized frame and
leaves little room for any thing else (in capitol ship terms)?
Would/could
make an interesting economic limitation on building it and looking at
the
scales of ships that seem to be talking about in FT I think that the PSB
is
at least as good for that as for fitting it only on little ships...

The other point on cloaking/sub systems is that they really are an
example
of a systems that needs it's counter to play with. Without a set of
sensor
rules cloaks/subs are not and will be be balanced.

David
(Who always played Romulans and is *still* tweaking sensor and cloaking

Prev: Re: [FT] WotW #11 Stealth Systems - review Next: RE: [FT] Ship Names