Prev: Re: Movies) Next: RE: Movies

Re: Movies)

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 09:34:37 EDT
Subject: Re: Movies)

On Fri, 27 Jul 2001 01:00:06 -0400 Allan Goodall <awg@sympatico.ca>
writes:
<snip>

>This is all neat stuff to think about. There should be an evolutionary
>reason
>for KV seeing into the IR and UV ranges, and for how far they see into
>them. I
>like the idea of them being less colour sensitive than humans, but
>more
>sensitive to motion and contrast. More rods than humans but fewer
>cones. I
>like the PSB potential for hiding from a KV as long as you are VERY
>still and
>in cammo. Sort of would make sense if the KV came from such a nasty
>environment that everthing seems predatory, ready to strike at you
>quickly.
>(Although in that case I'd suspect that being a critter that hid very
>still
>would be an evolutionary advantage...)

Would predators (assume the KV are predators for now) tend then to make
them *not* stay still so as to flush prey? Would they assume 'hiding'
behaviors (as opposed to submissive) define something/someone as prey
(and worthy of destruction?

 And if they were the prey could their aggressive behavior be a defense
mechanism (preemptive defense?) versus now extinct predators?  Wasn't
there a hint that the KV are fleeing from someone 'badder' in the core
(IIRC) in one of the web stories or am I delusional again?  Maybe having
been slaves/prey they have responded by living out the JDL (is that the
right acronym?) motto "Never Again"?  Jeez, sounds like the Nektons -
ouch, Nekton-KV 'first contact' (defined as who gets their (KV) rail or
(Nekton) sonic gun in action first gets 'first contact' on the other
species...)

Gracias,
Glenn/Triphibious

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!