Prev: Re: [DS2] Infantry Team Quibble Next: Re: FT-Nukes in space

FMAS Environment and Weather

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@f...>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 23:52:55 -0400
Subject: FMAS Environment and Weather

Okay, we've looked at snow and cold.

Let's now think about some other weather
effects.

Hot!

Extremely hot conditions result in (fascinatingly)
many of the same types of effects (though from
different causes) as do very cold conditions.

People tire twice as fast, accumulating fatigue.

People tend to be less effective (-1 QD shift)
until they acclimate. They also tend to take
themselves out doing dumb things like getting
heat exhaustion, sunstroke, severe sunburn, etc.
(roll Q die until acclimated - each 1 takes figure
out for that scenario).

The extreme heat will tend to overheat vehicles
and powered armour. It will tend to mean that
less armour is worn (too hot!).

If in the actual desert, several other problems
present themselves. Hot during the day, cold at
night.	You can freeze to death at night in some
deserts (poor heat retention). Sandstorms can
reduce visibility as snow storms (10-50m
visibility). They'd probably prohibit the function
of GMS, but I'm not sure.

What other kinds of extremities of climate might
one deal with?

Rain - Heavy rain may block visibility as snow or
sand.

Wind - High wind will prohibit VTOLs from
operating very successfully, especially copters.
Anything with fans which flies NOE won't like
winds that grab debris and throw it about. High
wind will also play havoc with shooting - I'd say
shoot as if one RB further away. And will make
grenade tossing quite a risk. Any maritime
venture (FMA Pirates anyone? I saw just that at
GZG-ECC this year) would be impeded - high
waves, wind push, and the risk of capsizing or
swamping increasing would be amongst the
concerns.

I'll leave Zero-G and Airless Environments to
Laserlight to speculate on.

Prev: Re: [DS2] Infantry Team Quibble Next: Re: FT-Nukes in space