Prev: RE: Photos (was:Re: New IF ships) Next: Re: Suggested figure posings (for Jon Tuffley)

RE: (SG)Check those numbers (long)

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 14:13:31 -0400
Subject: RE: (SG)Check those numbers (long)

At 9:24 AM -0700 7/9/01, David L. Dunn - DLD Productions wrote:

>Hmmm...ok then...now I'll have pull out my bible.  ;)
>According to Jane's Tanks and Combat Vehicles Recognition Guide, 2ed.
>An Austrian SK105 19 tons (approx,) classified as a Light Tank, has a
[snip]

>The CIS BMD-3	  1x 30mm, 1x7.62mm, 1xAT-5, 1x 7.62mm (bow), 1x 40mm
>gren lnchr(bow), 1x 5.45mm (bow), and it carries 5 passangers and has a
>crew of 2 and weighs 14.5 tons.  Go figure? All those weapons on that
>little vehicle?  Nah...really?  :)

Understood. Look at the Merkava example I later gave. 4Mgs, a 60mm
mortar and a 105 or 120mm gun. Or the Ontos, 6 105mm RRS and 2 .50
cal spotting rifles, easily a size two tracked vehicle.

Think of things from the designers perspective. Why would they add
that second weapon? In the merkava the MGs are to give additional
long range and short range anti-infantry Fire power. The mortar is
for illumination rounds and for AP/HE rounds against targets behind
defilade.

The Ontos was built as a light support vehicle that could get
multiple shots off against a target before reloading the RRs.

Figure out what the mfg is trying to do with the additional weapons.
Why have two close range weapons? A close and long range weapon make
sense.

>My point is this, that unless one knows what a class 2 vehicle is, how
>can one to say, " Too many weapons."
>I didn't mention the "free APSW" because I didn't put it on the
vehicle.
>So it's still only three weapons.
>Yes I understand that this is Science Fiction, but we only have reality
>based things to go from.  Who's to say that a "such and such Main
Battle
>Tank" can only have 3 weapons?  I don't believe that the above BMD-3
>would be considered a MBT.  Not weighing in at only 14.5 tons, when an

>  Class-1 up to 10 tons?     "(very small)"
>Class-2 10-25 tons?	     "(Small)"
>Class-3 25-50 tons?	      "(Medium)"
>Class-4 50-70 tons?	      "(Large)"
>Class-5 70 and up?	       "(Very Large)"

Don't confuse size with mass. A vehicle could be very large and not
weigh that much. A size 3 truck likely doesn't weigh up to 50 tons.

A Ferret Scout car weighs in at just as much as a Deuce and a Half,
but isn't nearly as big. Don't tell me that you can put 2 squads of
infantry on a Ferret like you can a 2.5 Ton truck.

- Ryan Montieth Gill		 ----------	      SW1025 H -
-   Internet Technologies  --  Data Center Manager (3N &10S)   -
- ryan.gill@turner.com			 rmgill@mindspring.com -
-		   www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       -
- C&R-FFL -	  The gunshow loophole isn't		 - NRA -
-	     keep federal laws out of private lives	       -

Prev: RE: Photos (was:Re: New IF ships) Next: Re: Suggested figure posings (for Jon Tuffley)