Prev: Re: [FT] New FAC? Was "New IF ships" Next: Re: [FT] New FAC? Was "New IF ships"

Re: New IF ships

From: Randall Joiner <rljoiner@m...>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 22:02:17 -0700
Subject: Re: New IF ships

>I know there's a FAQ, but it needs to be more
>extensive
>and it needs to grow as questions are asked. It's one
>thing to have a reasonable answer, but it would avoid
>quarrels if there was an official rules interpretation
>you could go look at to distinguish between multiple
>reasonable answers ;-).

It would help more if our group didn't have the personalities it has.

Or for that matter the investment of a Dictionary.

>Just by way of example, our latest small dispute was
>over dogfight rules between fighters. It looks to me
>as if single dogfights are simultaneous, while fights
>with 3 or more squadrons are initiative based. Some
>in our group disagree, interpreting the word
>multiple to mean 2 or more. However sure you might
>be of your opinion, there's no way to really be
>absolutely sure. But if there was a web site with a
>constantly growing list of official rules
>interpretations, the argument could be ended by one
>quick click on the internet.

www.dict.org
One click.  Search on the word multiple.

Or a dictionary... flip a few pages, read...  But we've had that
discusion
David, before.

Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary
Multiple (adj): 1: consisting of, including, or involving more than one

(To those wondering, no I was not there, not involved in the discussion
until now, and have no percentage either way)

>What do you think? Bad idea? Good idea? I'm not
>trying to make work for Jon, but there are places
>in the rules where there is a lot of room for
>disagreement (especially in the fragmented fighter
>rules).

So why does Jon need to be involved?  Frankly, you only need to have
someone people can agree on to give a ruling.  I'd suggest Scott or
Aimee,
between the two, they're almost always at TWR during FT times, they're
both
well balanced, well thought, respected people who aren't looking for
thier
own gain but instead a fair and balanced game as they can see it.

The most important characteristic though is that they both tend to keep
an
open mind, and listen to both sides.

And while I typically disagree with Aimee's conclusions, its almost
always
a matter of philosophy or vision of the game not in logic or personal
gain.
 True, neither of them know the rules by rote, but neither do I...

Rand()

Prev: Re: [FT] New FAC? Was "New IF ships" Next: Re: [FT] New FAC? Was "New IF ships"