Prev: Re: [FT] New FAC? Was "New IF ships" Next: Re: [FT] New FAC? Was "New IF ships"

SG2 leaders, bail outs, and GZG rules clarifications {LONG}

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@f...>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 00:06:56 -0400
Subject: SG2 leaders, bail outs, and GZG rules clarifications {LONG}

GZG rules clarifications compendia:

Bad plan. Two reasons.

First, the strength of the game system is that
people can play it the way they want. This is not
the "drones only" game that GW releases. Feel
free to sit down with your group and agree on
any contentious issues. If you can't make
decisions and enjoy living with them, the group
has some problems of its own beyond the
scope of the game. People tend to use so
many house rules anyway (not often to address
loopholes, mostly for flavour as they see it) that
this wouldn't (IMO) serve a big purpose.

Reason number two has three letters many of
us FT players have come to loathe: S-F-B. They
provided rules, clarifications, rulings,
interpretations, analyses, tactical term papers,
additional subrules, etc. Please God Save Me if
Jon even considers this. Plus Jon can make less
than optimal decisions even when playtesting is
involved (anyone remember MT KV costings?).
If he was answering questions off the cuff or
even with help from the oft-contentious playtest
group, he's gonna introduce a problem here
and there as he "fixes" others. And people
won't agree with the fixes he picks, so they'll do
their own thing anyway. So, just learn to resolve
matters at the gaming table amicably without a
resort Deus Ex Cathedra. It's far easier. And
easier on Jon, who has BDS, FMASk, DS3, FT3,
and a pile of sculpting on his plate already. And
if this plan were to delay one of these long
awaited products, I'm sure he'd cause froth in
this community.

Bail Outs:

My thoughts:
1) Armour crew perform badly as infantry
2) Bailing out of a vehicle should be difficult in
proportion to how blowed up the vehicle is
(simulating how much time you had to get out
perhaps)
3) Bailing out of a vehicle is traumatic - you
could have died! And someone very nearby,
you probably aren't sure where, is very
seriously trying to kill you. Not good for the
mental health.

So, what does this mean:
1) If armour crew (as opposed to infantry) bails
out, they automatically lose 1 quality level (they
can do infantry stuff, just badly - imagine
infantry trying to operate a 100mm Gauss
Cannon).

3) Crew or troops bailing out also get to drop
a morale level from having their vehicle shot out
from under them. (This last I inflict on infantry
as well, though they don't drop quality). Plus of
course any casualty based morale or
suppression effects caused by deaths in the
bailout attempt. In fact, I'd say this penalty
should be applied to troops that don't bail out
(assuming it isn't enforced) but have their
vehicle temporarily or permanently disabled
around them by enemy fire. That isn't going to
be a good feeling either.

2) When a major impact is scored on a vehicle,
I double the bail out rolls. Otherwise people
seemed to survive far too easily.

As for staying in a systems down vehicle (a
dead duck for a turn or two), make a reaction
check (1/2/4 by mot hi/med/lo). Similarly for a
suspension hit vehicle. For a disabled vehicle,
make this test at +1. If you fail, bailing out you
go.

I'd place a suppression on any bailing unit -
effectively they were hit by fire. Losses may also
necessitate a casualty-based morale check.  I'd
place a second suppression (and
commensurate morale check) if they lose the
squad leader. This is more than enough and
more or less implicitly follows other rules. No
magic suppressions applied. Combine this with
a basic morale penalty for having your ride
killed out from under you, and you're not a
happy camper.

Leader hide-out-itis:
1) I like the rules Allan and I worked up for
penalizing command transfers. The reason the
penalty is only 1 kind of assumes a high level of
computer aided situational awareness. If the
troops have crappy kit, maybe this should be a
2 (the leader has even less clue what troops he
can't see are doing). The fact that many of
these circumstances require a comms roll nicely
goes in hand with EW units. If you don't stay
close to your troops to hand direct, you're
gonna get jammed.
2) Other reasons for a leader not to hide out at
the back that I use: First, I modify rally rolls by
+1 difficulty if the officer isn't there in person
("What sir? I'm not receiving you. Your signal is
weak. What? ...Withdraw? What? Pulling out!"),
snipers, random unspotted enemy units
appearing when the CO has no protection
(D'oh! and you thought you knew the enemy
OB... silly boy!), make leader roll a quality check
for a reorg he can't see (esp if trying to detach
or something), artillery ("Hmmm... we seem to
be getting a lot of comms from this map
reference - seems a good place for a mortar").
Generally, I think you'd try to (in the early
stages of a battle) conceal forces from one
another and radio silence might well be a part
of it. So having the officer with the troops might
well be pretty key here too. Another way: Make
the leader player sit in a blind corner with his
map and make the other units radio him info
and he can try to give sensible orders. Far
more comms rolls, more opportunities to jam,
more confusion. Or make him use his binos to
spot whats going on. Do that for a while and
he'll be convinced to move forward. Also,
officers who lead from the spineless rear area
like that should (over time) suffer motivation
issues with their soldiers.
3) I don't like on the move stuff, just because it
looks more complex to administer. And the CO
being busy doesn't necessarily mean his squad
can't act well. I think if you cut the CO to 1
transfer per round, you gut stargrunt a bit. It is
part of the mechanic that differentiates it and
makes it interesting.

G'night.

Prev: Re: [FT] New FAC? Was "New IF ships" Next: Re: [FT] New FAC? Was "New IF ships"