Prev: Re: [FT] New FAC? Was "New IF ships" Next: RE: [SG2] Vehicle Bail Out

Re: [SG2] Vehicle Bail Out

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 18:56:29 -0400
Subject: Re: [SG2] Vehicle Bail Out

At 2:54 PM -0400 7/5/01, Chris DeBoe wrote:
>  > I'm still new to Stargrunt but I've done a lot of study of infantry
>>  and armour tactics so I'll take a stab at some of this. Mostly I'm
>>  thinking in real principles here and trying to get 'game' and 'real'
>>  to meet in the middle.
>
>Might depend on how disabled and what opposition is.  If it's a lucky
with
>with IAVR on a tread and there are machine gun rounds boucing off my
hull, I
>might be inclined to stay put; if it's a penetrating hit and
something's on
>fire, I'll be more inclined to teleport out even if it's into someone's
fire
>lane.

Naturally the damage is relative. I guess the bail out should be up
to the player and the intelligence of the crew. If it brews up after
they decide to stay then oh well...

>IIRC an M1 in Iraq was disabled (stuck in mud) and accounted for three
Iraqi
>tanks before the recovery vehicles managed to get it unstuck.

Looking at the horsepower needed for recovering a vehicle bogged down
to its wheels or in some cases deck or higher, its not surprising
that it took a while. Several M88's seem to be the norm for getting
an M1 out of the mud once the mud has taken a hold. M1's are a bit on
the heavy scale of the tanks that we normally deal with in SG. Mostly
they are much lighter vehicles.

I'm struck with the image of a truck in Bosnia or someplace that the
BBC was showing taking fire (archival footage I think). It had been
struck by 23mm cannon fire from a fairly high angel and was stopped
in an intersection. While the camera is rolling the truck is still
taking fire through the top/back/side through the bed and into the
ground around it. During the incoming fire, every half beat a man
jumps out of the covered bed and runs away from the truck. It didn't
burst into flames, but there was smoke from the bottom of the vehicle
(whether from a leaking fuel tank or the engine dying and burning the
oil in the crankcase up I don't know) but the people definitely
wanted away from that truck.

I suspect most of the engagements are going to be more like in
Vietnam where crewmen escaped from M113s and M47s after being struck
by RPGs or running over mines. I don't know if anyone could survive
the 500lbs of explosive command detonated under the tanks, those
tended to blow the commander out of the TC hatch and 30 feet into the
air, usually in half pieces too according to the Author of Jungle
Dragoon.

>  > A correct anti-armour drill by a pair of teams would have a SAW and
>>  GMS system of some sort (perhaps IAVRs) destroying/damaging it. The
>>  bailing out crew is then shot by an additional SAW team.
>
>Assuming that your SAW doesn't have something more interesting to do in
the
>meantime--tank crew wouldn't be high on my list of things to worry
about.

Ahh, but a bunch of grunts bailing out of an APC/MICV would I think?

- Ryan Montieth Gill		 ----------	      SW1025 H -
-   Internet Technologies  --  Data Center Manager (3N &10S)   -
- ryan.gill@turner.com			 rmgill@mindspring.com -
-		   www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       -
- C&R-FFL -	  The gunshow loophole isn't		 - NRA -
-	     keep federal laws out of private lives	       -

Prev: Re: [FT] New FAC? Was "New IF ships" Next: RE: [SG2] Vehicle Bail Out