Prev: Re: [FT]Star Trek rules? Next: Re: [FT]Star Trek rules?

Re: [ft] Fighter Momentum Conservation(was:[OT]UnpredictableAI)

From: Donald Hosford <Hosford.Donald@a...>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 03:07:52 -0400
Subject: Re: [ft] Fighter Momentum Conservation(was:[OT]UnpredictableAI)

Beth Fulton wrote:

> G'day,
>
>  >Ships and fighters have different tradeoffs.
>  >Fighters are trading endurance, number of
>  >"shots", ect -- for speed.	That is: the ability
>  >to deliver a respectable amount of firepower
>  >to a given location or enemy unit in a short
>  >time.
>  >Ships on the otherhand give up speed inorder
>  >to have enormous endurance, awesome
>  >firepower, large crews, ect.  When it does
>  >catch something...it dies.
>
> So in those terms what thrust rating would you give fighters?

Depends.
In most of my ship-to-ship systems, I just scale up the construction
tables so
that I can build fighters/shuttles/missles myself.  That way the "tech
levels"
are felt all across the spectrum of units without me guessing.
The few fighters I have built were about 2 times thrust of the average
ships.

I usually say something like 1 hull space (for ships) is 20 (or more)
hull
spaces (for small craft/ordinance).  Once construction is done, just
divid by
the small craft spaces to get the hull spaces.	Round fractions however
you
want.  I usually assumed that these smallcraft/ordinance only took one
hit.

I also added to the construction tables:  Things like cockpits,
Warheads, ect.

> >(Where I live, any drive longer than a 1/2 hour is a "vacation".
>
> As I now live in Tassie I'm beginning to become familiar with this
point of
> view, before then I would've been lost though as 1/2 an hour wouldn't
have
> got you to town where I grew up ;)
>
> Cheers
>
> Beth

Wowzers.  You must have lived right out there.
In my case the nearest city is an 1/2 hour drive away.	And it isn't a
game
convention city -- as far as I know.  (I wouldn't be surprized if I have
missed
any cons...I work weekends...)

Donald Hosford

Prev: Re: [FT]Star Trek rules? Next: Re: [FT]Star Trek rules?