Prev: Re: Big ship loadout ... Was Size Class Escalation Next: Re: Size Class Escalation -- How high in Mass?

RE: Size Class Escalation -- How high in Mass?

From: David Griffin <carbon_dragon@y...>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 13:55:09 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: RE: Size Class Escalation -- How high in Mass?

Systems like this bother me. Basically it's an
attempt to force each side to take ships that
they don't really think belong in a major engagment
between large ships. Haven't you guys just been
convincing me that those small ships get crumpled
like an empty beer can when fighting big ships?
Wouldn't it be a better use of the fleet's shipyards
to build more big ships? Maybe size escalation is
a natural consequence of the realities of combat.

Sure build DDs to escort convoys. Build Cruisers
to explore strange new worlds or scout. Use
Fleet scouts (BC's or CA's) to scout prior to
a battle if the bogey rules are in play. But
once the big guns start booming, if the small
ships are that disadvantaged, shouldn't they be
watching from a distance?