Prev: Size Class Escalation -- How high in Mass? Next: Re: Mounted Cavalry (Dadada-dat-dada!)

Re: Size Class Escalation -- How high in Mass?

From: mreindl@p...
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 11:07:36 -0700
Subject: Re: Size Class Escalation -- How high in Mass?

David Griffin wrote:

> The fleet book has superdreadnoughts and supercarriers
> which are in the 250 mass range class (plus a bit for
> a few ships). How high in mass are the big ships you
> field and what has your experience been with them?

We play straight out of the FB, so that's our limit.  We've used capital
ships
quite a bit, but I think that with the exception of my Komarov, they
seem to
die pretty easily.  That first threshhold check is a bear to get, but
once
systems start to go down, that's a lot of eggs being broken in that
single
basket.

> My Excelsior SDN, the UN SDN from Geohex, and my
> Warlock SDN (from B5) are all about 265-270 so far.
> I don't get them into battle all that often because
> they cost from 864 (Excelsior) to about 900 points
> and our games are usually 1000-1500 pts. My experience
> with them has been basically good. They take a
> pretty good pounding and can deliver decent damage
> but not in an obviously unbalancing way. Their
> survival rate does not seem to be higher than my
> other ships (since they tend to get focussed on).

I agree with the first part, but as to the second, my tendency is to
smack the
smaller ships first, both because they're easier to kill, and it gives
the
opposing force fewer firing options when it comes up.

> We actually had a game the other night in which it
> turned out one of the opposition ships was 620 mass!
> We killed it, but I felt afterward we should have
> gotten a medal presented by Princess Leia. It wasn't
> really unbalancingly powerful, but it DID have the
> advantage of firing all at once.

Sure, but unless the person had a lot of Firecons, it's still limited in
its
selection of targets (of course, with 620 mass, I suppose you could
squeeze in
a *lot* of firecons if you chose).

Mark

Prev: Size Class Escalation -- How high in Mass? Next: Re: Mounted Cavalry (Dadada-dat-dada!)