Prev: RE: Small Ships--Why? Next: RE: Small Ships--Why?

Re: Small Ships--Why?

From: mreindl@p...
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 11:58:44 -0700
Subject: Re: Small Ships--Why?

Derk Groeneveld wrote:

> (may be forged)) by scotch.csua.berkeley.edu (8.11.1/8.11.1) with
ESMTP id
>  f5MIJR991293 for <gzg-l@lists.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>; Fri,
>  22 Jun 2001 11:19:27 -0700

> On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Eli Arndt wrote:
>
> Also, with many small ships there's less chance of a freak hit
knocking
> out your fleet. I imagine the core systems rule ould make a fair bit
of
> difference here as well?

Don't forget (for FT purposes) even that wonderfully expensive Komarov
can
only engage a max. of 4 targets per turn.  Try a game utilizing a SDN
against
an equal points fleet consisting of corvettes, frigates, or (god
forbid!)
scouts, and see who comes out on top!  The swarm force will lose quite a
few
coming in, but once they get behind the big boy, it's usually pretty
well
over.  Also, smaller ships are great for finishing off cripples, etc.

Mark