Prev: Re: Small Ships--Why? Next: Re: Small Ships--Why?

RE: Small Ships--Why?

From: Derk Groeneveld <derk@c...>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 20:19:16 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: RE: Small Ships--Why?

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Eli Arndt wrote:

> I agree.  In a one-off there's no reason.  Real fleets work because
they
> have layers and because radar is generally limited by the curve of the
> earth and other such things.	By stringing your ships out you can
extend
> your sensor range.
>
> Having smaller, faster ships also allows you to react to new
situations
> more effectively.  In a situation where you have an unidentified
> contact, are you going to want to commit a large vessel or maybe check
> it out with lighter craft who can move to make contact and then get
away
> to tell the tale or be no great loss when they die.

The above SOUDNS like they would already come into their own in a
one-off
with unknown contacts?

In ground-based wargames, the way to make recon troops come into their
own
is hidden deployment etc. I would imagine the same applies here.

Also, with many small ships there's less chance of a freak hit knocking
out your fleet. I imagine the core systems rule ould make a fair bit of
difference here as well?

Cheers,

  Derk
Version: GnuPG v1.0.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Made with pgp4pine

iD8DBQE7M4wsJXH58oo6ncURAkXNAKCgi4Mi3QjiVNTFAhF712NNiVyh3ACgmC9z
wfQZg+sPuwf8N5VbaXxCILU=
=aj9o

Prev: Re: Small Ships--Why? Next: Re: Small Ships--Why?