Prev: Re: Taking pictures... Next: Re: Taking pictures...

[FT] Defensive system idea: MRIM

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@f...>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 02:03:04 -0400
Subject: [FT] Defensive system idea: MRIM

Pardon to anyone who may have come up with
a similar concept. I haven't seen it mentioned
so this is not a derivative work, though it may
flow in already established channels.

Think for a moment of fleet defence. We have an
outer layer of fighters, screening for other
fighters and engaging incoming missiles. They
attack things headed toward the fleet as a
whole.

We have an ADFC net which lets us engage (at
short ranges) missiles and fighters attacking
ships under the net's umbrella. This (like the
long distance fighter screen) is an area defence.

Then we have the close in "screening" fighters,
attached to particular ships. They try to stop
fighters (and I think missiles?) on attack runs.
This is a defence for a particular ship.

Then we have the last ditch PDS/CIWS which
attempts to thwart the incoming fighters and
missiles targetted specifically at the ship
carrying them. This is the final and most
personal level of defence for a ship.

But this formation assumes you have fighter
superiority (or fighters present!). If you don't,
your fighter screening won't last long. So then
you're down to ADFC and PDS. Few FB ships
have ADFC and they attract enemy fighters and
fire like magnets. So shortly, your ship ONLY
has PDS. Or, if it is on independent operation,
that's all it has. And most FB ships aren't over-
endowed with PDS.

And of course, then we come to the vast
annoyance of the floating fighter swarm (space
vultures) that can't be attacked because they
aren't attacking you. (In fact, if you think
carefully about this, you'll note that a long
range fighter strike at a planet opposed by
standard corvettes, destroyers, and frigates is
UTTERLY UNSTOPPABLE - the fighters fly by
laughing as you can't shoot....).

So, what kind of system would help
1) extend the defensive envelope of ships to
allow them to engage fighters OUTSIDE their
own engagement range
2) same as #1 but as it applies to MTMs and
SMs
3) Provide an ability to attack fighter groups
"lurking" in swarms nearby
4) allow some form of closer in area defence
for non-fighter bearing ships.

The answer (or one of them) is a Medium
Range Interceptor Missile system. (MRIM).

Whereas I sort of PSB the PDS as CIWS (laser
or particle-accelerator type phalanx/goalkeeper
system, defensive cannister launchers, etc), I
see the MRIM as a system with slightly more
capable sensors and more capable weaponry.

What would it do:
1) Have an attack range of 12" (like a B1)
2) Have limited shots like a scattergun or SM
3) Be able to target any fighter or missile in
range
4) Be fireable at fighters or missiles attacking
the mounting ship like PDS but before the
fighters can fire
5) I'd suggest it is the equivalent of 3 PDS
shots (3 dice, PDS effects).
6) arc limited
7) Like PDS, mounts it own tracking/homing
therefore does not require a firecon
8) I'll guess at a 3-arc version for mass 1. Cost
is 4 x mass. (logic: Unlike ADFC, it doesn't allow
all beam-1s and PDS to shoot at fighters in the
area of effect, just this system. It is more potent
than a single 1mass, 3 point PDS but can't fire
repeatedly and has limited arc coverage. Hence
more expensive than a single PDS but only
slightly).

Now, my guestimate for mass and cost for
MRIM rounds is just that. Comments on
cost/mass/performance I'd be interested to
here. (Note, my FT gaming tends to be vector
with 3" radius for attacking SMs if that matters
in the discussion).

Prev: Re: Taking pictures... Next: Re: Taking pictures...