Prev: Re: IMT Star Wars ship in good scale Next: RE: [OT] Squats Re: Gurkhas uploaded

Re: [FT] WotW #10 Damage Shields (Was Real Shields) (long)

From: Charles Taylor <charles.taylor@c...>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 17:47:32 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT] WotW #10 Damage Shields (Was Real Shields) (long)

In message <001b01c0f6a1$775c9e60$e8c0893e@inty>
	  "Bif Smith" <bif@bifsmith.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]

> > In summary:
> >
> > Damage Shield - in some ways this is like the 'armour generator'
> > proposal - as written, it defends against everything.
> >
> Which would require someone with better maths than me to work out a
> balancing mass level Vs weapons it defends against.
Err.. Head hurts!

> > Globular Shield - firstly - why does it KO the ships FTL drive for
2d6
> > turns after it is switched off? As it cannot be used with anything
else
> > - I'm not sure it would see much use.
> >
> Probably to stop people jumping in and out (especially out), instead
having
> to stay and fight.

Hmm.. I may have the wrong end of the stick here - but, how is a ship
that has dropped its Globular Shield different from one that doesn't
have one anyway (in this respect)?

> > Mass/Energy Shield - again a 'defend against everything' - and it
could
> > slow the game time (beams will need resoving indivdually).
> >
> How about works like a normal screen against beams, and a
damage/kinetic
> screen against others (K guns etc).

Actually, thinking about it, I could be wrong - as all damage from a
salvo will, of course, impact the same shield, and thus you just count
the whole damage rolled to see if the shield overloads.

> > Pinpoint screen - first thought _why_ can it block area effects? -
I'd
> > remove this ability.
> > Also - I think its a bit unwieldy.
> >
> Because it worked like that in macross (put the pinpoint sheilds
between
> your ship and the blast wavefront and hide behind it).

Ok, I vaguely remember macros, IIRC the pinpoint screen was a lot
smaller than the SDF - so how would this work? :-)

Personally - if I was to use such a system - I'd prefer something
simpler:
Say: ship can mount any number of pinpoint screens (MASS allowing)
each can intercept ONE attack per turn (say on a roll of 4+ or 5+)
vs. fighters or Salvo missiles intercepts 1 beam dice of attacks.

No idea as to cost ATM.

[snip]

Charles

Prev: Re: IMT Star Wars ship in good scale Next: RE: [OT] Squats Re: Gurkhas uploaded