Prev: Re: Gurkhas uploaded Next: Re: beams and shooting at fighters

Re: [FT] Should all Beams fire at fighters/ordinance?

From: Derk Groeneveld <derk@c...>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 16:28:49 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: Re: [FT] Should all Beams fire at fighters/ordinance?

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, David Griffin wrote:

> --- Derk Groeneveld <derk@cistron.nl> wrote:
> >
> > Yes, I noticed this as well. However, PDS + ADFC
> > seems to reflect some of
> > those capabilities. Given that 6" is a significant
> > range, apparantly PDS
> > is not _necessarily_ short ranged, it's juist the FC
> > that makes it so.
> >

> There's some justification to this, but I don't
> quite buy it. You still fire just once, not
> as the enemy enters each "range band" so it still
> feels like just 1 system to me.

I didn't mean to say it wasn't; I agree with you here.

> > Ah... But since even the big ones lack the longer
> > range SMM's
> > (ship-missilie missile's), it makes sense that the
> > fighters don't have it
> > either ;)
> >

> Ship missile missile? Do you mean Air to Air
> missiles or Air to Surface missile? A phoenix
> like system in FT would, I think, target enemy
> fighters at long range, or enemy missiles.

Sorry, that was a bit of a play on words gone bad. I meant a long range
missile, fired from a ship, targetting enemy missiles (or fighters). And
yes, that's how I;d see a phoenix missile.

What I meant to say is that, since the ships can't do it, I sure don't
see
a fighter doing it.

> There certainly are aircraft like the Super
> Entendard which fire long range standoff ASM's
> at ships with good effect.

Yes. Harpoons and Exocet's can be fired from airplanes.

> > I was going to point out in reply to an earlier post
> > that _projectile_
> > gatlings are AT LEAST as limited as missile
> > launchers. But yes, energy
> > beam gatlings are not. Let's just clal it a rapid
> > fire energy weapon,
> > then?
> >

> That's what I always thought, but it's all kept
> deliberately vague by GZG.

Which isn't necessarily bad... You can use it for whatever kind of close
in weapon system you want, now.

Cheers,

   Derk
Version: GnuPG v1.0.4 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Made with pgp4pine

iD8DBQE7KMomJXH58oo6ncURAlBHAJ93AVZjMvaTl3O8nNaJu3m3HBZokwCgrG/V
P3GInCub2lxpbB9/z9NcOmI=
=Nhnp

Prev: Re: Gurkhas uploaded Next: Re: beams and shooting at fighters