Prev: Re: Gurkhas uploaded Next: Re: [FT] Should all Beams fire at fighters/ordinance?

Re: Gurkhas uploaded

From: Derk Groeneveld <derk@c...>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 16:24:38 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: Re: Gurkhas uploaded

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Thomas Barclay wrote:

> Hi Derk
>
> Nice job.

Thanks :)

> The Camo is interesting (quite different
> from the scheme I used)

It's based _loosely_ upon tiger stripe patterns in an old military
illustrated (although they certainly did not feature the brown-yellow
stripe). Most of the vietnam-era tiger stripe patterns were rather silly
HORIZONTAL stripes, whereas for effective camo, when standing/moving,
you'd want vertical ones.  So these blokes got vertical stripes :) (The
disadvantage of any stripey patterns is that they work best either prone
or standing, not both)

> and the work you did
> on the comms guy was pretty good. I only have
> two comments: Unlike Brian I'm not a fan of
> such visible numbers (you spent so much time
> making the figure look life-like otherwise...) and
> would have put these on the bottom

Well, I used to scribble numbers on the bottom, but then you have to
pick
up the figures all the time to peek underneath, which also gets
annoying..
This is the first unit I did this way, and it doesn't look to
distracting,
from a distance.

> comment number two - maybe it's just my
> monitor, but these guys seem kinda pale for
> Nepalese.... whom (if I'm not mistaken and my
> Internet searches don't deceive) tend to have a
> darker/more ruddy complexion.

You were quite right; I've simply been playing with my new Vallejo paint
(great stuff!), and decided to use the standard 'dark flesh' colour
rather
than go on a mixing spree :)

> Otherwise, fantastic job! Keep up the good
> work. Your drybrushing on the packs and boots
> rocks. I really have to learn to do that....

The packs weren't drybrushed, really. They were painted khaki-mixed with
black, worked up to khaki in several layers, then from khaki to buff.
The
whole figure was drybrushed buff _very_ slightly to help bring out the
folds in the camo pattern and such, the boots a bit stronger.

Cheers,

   Derk
Version: GnuPG v1.0.4 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Made with pgp4pine

iD8DBQE7KMkrJXH58oo6ncURAkAbAJ9wDaJ2MpbxrFth8+d/4DCQGsJBdACgrcEZ
4N7iSIrHk0Icp5ErmcUkeB8=
=xN9T

Prev: Re: Gurkhas uploaded Next: Re: [FT] Should all Beams fire at fighters/ordinance?