Prev: Re: [FT] ADFC Re: Painting FT models Next: Re: [FT] Should all Beams fire at fighters/ordinance?

Re: [FT] Should all Beams fire at fighters/ordinance?

From: "Chris DeBoe" <LASERLIGHT@Q...>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 13:16:15 -0400
Subject: Re: [FT] Should all Beams fire at fighters/ordinance?

> On the plus side, the amount of slew required is inversely
proportional
> to the range, so if we assumed the targetting systems are up to the
> task, all classes of beams could be allowed to fire at fighters in the
> range band where they only roll one die, but not at closer ranges.
The
> larger beams are useless for point defense, but they can reach out and
> touch somebody.

Assuming the fighter is maneuvering, how hard is it to hit at long
range?
The targeting information (eg radar reflection) has to get from the
fighter
to you; you have to process it; you have to point the gun; then your
outgoing beam has to get back to the fighter.

Using the usual 1mu=1000km:

36" = 36,000 km each way
C =~300,000km/sec
so transit time in and back is about .24 second (counting zero
processing
and slew time)

How far does the fighter move? If a fighter evades at an easy 1 gee
d = 1/2at^2 = 1/2 * 10m/sec^2 * .24^2 = about .28 meters
That distance varies directly as a result of the fighter thrust.

Assuming that you're aiming at the center of the target and your
processing
and slew time are fast enough, you should still generate a hit.  If on
the
other hand the fighter is continuously evading at 10g, you might have a
problem--depends on the size and configuration of the fighter.

Prev: Re: [FT] ADFC Re: Painting FT models Next: Re: [FT] Should all Beams fire at fighters/ordinance?