Prev: Re: [FT] ADFC Re: Painting FT models Next: Re: [FT] ADFC Re: Painting FT models

RE: MT Missiles vs. Kra'Vak Scatter Packs

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 12:45:54 -0400
Subject: RE: MT Missiles vs. Kra'Vak Scatter Packs

At 12:21 PM -0400 6/13/01, Bell, Brian K (Contractor) wrote:
>Alright. A couple of things, first.
>
>ADAF was done away with. Its funciton is split between PDS and ADFC.
ADFC
>allows the ship it is on to use its PDS fire to protect another ship
that is
>within 6mu, from fighter or missile attack. The ability to fire at
>non-attacking fighters was lost. This means that an ADFC with 1 PDS is
less
>effective that 2 ADAFs (on a mass to mass compairison). An ADFC with 2
PDS
>is almost as effective as 2 ADAFs. And an ADFC with 3 or more PDS is
more
>effective that the equivilent mass in ADAFs.

But with 2 ADFCs and 4 PDS, more effective than 3 PDAF and 3 ADAF.

>Did PDAF change when going to PDS. It depends on how you look at it. I
>viewed it as not having changed, but the way missiles are defended
against
>changed. But, you could look at it like PDAF lost the extra strike
ability
>against MT Missiles in exchange for the ability to be more effecient
when
>combined with ADFC.

They didn't change against fighters at all. AD** became a specialized
fire control, PDS became multi role when attached to an ADFC as you
well know.

>The way anit-missile attacks are handled changed with the introduction
of
>Salvo Missiles. MT Missiles are not referenced, specifically, in FB1
except
>on p. 11, where it provides mass/cost for them. I think that the rule
change
>could have been made for 2 reasons. 1) To simplify the game and use
just one
>mechanic vs missiles (of any type). 2) To reduce the value of MT
Missiles.
>MT Missiles, when used in mass, were too powerful and led to PT Boat
like
>craft that jumped in, droped thier missiles and jumped out. I think
that
>they were just forgotten (although Oerjan and the other playtesters
could
>shead light on if/how MT Missiles were tested under FB rules).

Hmm. This is where the confusion arises. Such craft are a proper idea
in my book. They are not line of battle and are not very good for
anything other than light patrol duties or combined punches against
any larger vessel. Its been a valid tactic since the creation of the
torpedo (not the American Civil War type, but the running type).

--
- Ryan Montieth Gill		DoD# 0780 (Smug #1) / AMA / SOHC -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com  I speak not for CNN, nor they for me -

Prev: Re: [FT] ADFC Re: Painting FT models Next: Re: [FT] ADFC Re: Painting FT models