Prev: Re: MT Missiles vs. Kra'Vak Scatter Packs Next: Re: Painting FT models

RE: MT Missiles vs. Kra'Vak Scatter Packs

From: "Bell, Brian K (Contractor)" <Brian.Bell@d...>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 12:21:45 -0400
Subject: RE: MT Missiles vs. Kra'Vak Scatter Packs

Alright. A couple of things, first.

ADAF was done away with. Its funciton is split between PDS and ADFC.
ADFC
allows the ship it is on to use its PDS fire to protect another ship
that is
within 6mu, from fighter or missile attack. The ability to fire at
non-attacking fighters was lost. This means that an ADFC with 1 PDS is
less
effective that 2 ADAFs (on a mass to mass compairison). An ADFC with 2
PDS
is almost as effective as 2 ADAFs. And an ADFC with 3 or more PDS is
more
effective that the equivilent mass in ADAFs.

Did PDAF change when going to PDS. It depends on how you look at it. I
viewed it as not having changed, but the way missiles are defended
against
changed. But, you could look at it like PDAF lost the extra strike
ability
against MT Missiles in exchange for the ability to be more effecient
when
combined with ADFC.

The way anit-missile attacks are handled changed with the introduction
of
Salvo Missiles. MT Missiles are not referenced, specifically, in FB1
except
on p. 11, where it provides mass/cost for them. I think that the rule
change
could have been made for 2 reasons. 1) To simplify the game and use just
one
mechanic vs missiles (of any type). 2) To reduce the value of MT
Missiles.
MT Missiles, when used in mass, were too powerful and led to PT Boat
like
craft that jumped in, droped thier missiles and jumped out. I think that
they were just forgotten (although Oerjan and the other playtesters
could
shead light on if/how MT Missiles were tested under FB rules).

-----
Brian Bell
http://www.ftsr.org/
-----