Prev: Re: [FT] 2nd CanAm Next: RE: Shipping Cost from the UK

[FT] Should all Beams fire at fighters/ordinance?

From: David Griffin <carbon_dragon@y...>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 13:46:16 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [FT] Should all Beams fire at fighters/ordinance?

I've often thought (except when I am the one
operating the fighters ;-) that any weapon, or
at least any beam should be able to fire at
fighters and missiles (or other ordinance)
registering a kill on a 6. But is this plausible,
and is it unbalancing?

On the positive side, it introduces some interesting
tactical dilemmas. Do you fire all your weapons at
the fighters in hopes of getting one or two more,
or do you save it for the big ships bearing down on
you? One could expect 1 kill per 6 weapons allocated
on average. That's probably just effective enough
to make you think about doing it.

On the negative side, any given ship, when attacked
by fighters has a better chance of destroying more
fighters, so it makes fighters a little less powerful.
With one of my CAs which has 2 type 3's and 2 pulse
torpedoes, allocating all weapons to say a fighter
squadron is only likely to net 2/3 of a fighter on
average.

Plausibility -- Would a ship do this? Well in SFB
this was possible. In real life I've hear stories
of even 16-18" naval guns being fired in the path
of torpedo fighters in the hopes of knocking them
down. Sure it's harder to hit a fighter with a 16"
gun, but this is already reflected in the type 1
against fighter/ordinance rules.

This is mostly a speculation for the next generation
of Full Thrust than a idea for inclusion in the games
going on right now. This would seem to make ships
more flexible and would have the side effect of making
book fleet ships a little more survivable against a
single 6 squadron carrier. What do you think? Maybe
this is a terrible idea, but if so, I expect you'll
all set me straight.

Prev: Re: [FT] 2nd CanAm Next: RE: Shipping Cost from the UK