Prev: Re: Kinetic Shields Next: RE: Marine carriers?

Re: [FT] Scale in Full Thrust

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 12:03:30 -0400
Subject: Re: [FT] Scale in Full Thrust

At 7:54 AM +0200 6/8/01, K.H.Ranitzsch wrote:

>This was my first reaction, too. But I think Oerjan is referring to a
cube
>with the length/width/heigth of the Abrams. The actual volume of the
Abrams
>is rather smaller, as a fair amount of that volume will be air outside
the
>tank. So it could be the atnk may not swim, but Oerjan still be right.
>also remember reading that tanks crossing a river underwater had a
problem
>with their buoyancy, that they had difficuölty steering because of
their low
>ground pressure.

An object will float or sink based on its overall density. Density is
mass/volume. The density  of the tank is higher than the density of
water. Thats with or without the hull sealed.

>  > Less simply, we can look at the numbers (some one have better
>>  numbers, please use them..)
>
>For starters, use metric units ;-)

Then use all metric...don't mix...

>  > Balsa wood is about 8lbs per cubic foot.
>
>Don't have that handy in metric units, certainly less than 1 ton/cubic
meter
>(the density of water)
>Let's say 0.6 tons/m3

Don't assume your numbers.

Balsa ranges from 8 lbs per cubic foot to 14 lbs per cubic foot.
Thats 144.14 kg/m3 to 252.25 kg/m3.

>  > That abrams is 70 tons
>>  ok, some basic facts...
>>  Outside dimensions. This is the perfect cube size of an abrams.

That was short tons. 63.49 metric tons. or 63,490 Kg.

>I think 'perfect cube size' is what Oerjan was talking about.
>>  don't know the presice cubic footage. Any MAC loadmasters know?
>>
>>  93" x 387" x 144"
>
>My data are: L (Gun forward !) 9.83 m W 3.66 m H 2.44 m

>Total outside volume: 87,785832 m3

Shouldn't this be 87.78 m3 (L x W x H)? This is our total outside
volume either of our tank or of our balsa wood block.

63,490kg/87.78m3 = 723.28 kg/m3 this is the density of the tank.

Well assume a middle ground on the density of the balsa wood at
200kg/m3.

so, 200kg/m3 x 87.78m3 = 17,556 kg.

Balsa wood density = 200kg/m3 and 88m3 of it is 17,556 kg
M1 Abrams =723kg/m3 and all 88m3 of it is 63,490 kg.

>I think Oerjan is right.

Balsa wood floats. An Abrams doesn't. I don't see how it's size makes
it denser....

- Ryan Montieth Gill		 ----------	      SW1025 H -
-   Internet Technologies  --  Data Center Manager (3N &10S)   -
- ryan.gill@turner.com			 rmgill@mindspring.com -
-		   www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       -
- C&R-FFL -	  The gunshow loophole isn't		 - NRA -
-	     keep federal laws out of private lives	       -

Prev: Re: Kinetic Shields Next: RE: Marine carriers?