Prev: [FT] FWD: [LoGH] LOGH wargame playtest needed Next: Re: [FT] Scale in Full Thrust

Re: Kinetic Shields

From: David Griffin <carbon_dragon@y...>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 07:09:42 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Kinetic Shields

--- "Izenberg, Noam" <Noam.Izenberg@jhuapl.edu> wrote:
> From: David Griffin <carbon_dragon@yahoo.com>
>
> >But Star Trek does. Granted pulse torpedoes
> >make weak photon torpedoes, even weaker
> >quantum torpedoes and very weak transphasic
> >torpedoes, but they're a step in the right
> >direction.
>
> Beg to differ. Shields in Trek are proof vs. All
> damage until they go out.
> Screen skipping weapons in Trek are
> technobabble-of-the-week plot devices,
> and inherently unbalancing in game translation
> terms.

I'm not sure what you're saying. You're agreeing
with me, but implying I contradicted you?
Yes, the few times shields have been skipped
have been plot devices. Usually that isn't the
case.  Such a weapon skipping a shield that
isn't easily skipped (like ST shields) would be
at best a scenario device and might NEVER
appear.

> If you happen to translate pulsetorps as Photon
> torps then Q-torps and
> 'transpahsics' (eeeeeeewwwww, what a name) torps are
> also inherently
> unbalancing, as they are supposed to _represent_
> unbalancing tech advances.

Well transphasics yes. Quantum torpedoes are
supposed to be the next gen Photon torpedoes
(or the 3rd gen according to Last Unicorn,
Photon Torpedo mk.II being the 2nd gen). As
such, they are not inherently unbalancing. Of
course the last good star trek combat game
happened before quantums were around. It
will be interesting to see how it all comes together
in ENGAGE the new Star Trek game by
Decipher if and when it arrives.

With Transphasics, we know they're powerful,
but we've never seen them against a normal
opponent. Perhaps for some reason they're
particularly effective against the Borg. Maybe
just because noone assimilated by the Borg
has any ideas of how to protect themselves
from them. But they look like super torpedoes
for sure. If they're expensive enough, they
could concievably still be show up in a game.
After all the Romulan R type plasma was a
pretty frightening weapon in SFB, but it had
it's tactical limitations and by and by it turned
out it wasn't as uber unbalancing as it at
first appeared.

Prev: [FT] FWD: [LoGH] LOGH wargame playtest needed Next: Re: [FT] Scale in Full Thrust