Prev: RE: is there a GZG/WCCII??? Next: RE: [FT] Scale in Full Thrust

Re: FT-Fighters and launch bays

From: Randall L Joiner <rljoiner@m...>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 15:22:28 -0400
Subject: Re: FT-Fighters and launch bays

> Wet navy carriers have different problems.  The reason as many planes
are on the
> deck as there are is to make room in the hanger deck for servicing.
As a gross
> percentage of total tonnage, the Nimitz carries a pittance.  Less than
five percent
> of its mass is its airgroup (unless the average carrier aircraft is
fifty tonnes).
> At one point per fighter, the typical FT:FB1 carrier usually triples
that number.

Tell ya what, I'll happily take 5% of my total tonnage for my airgroup
if you give me
fighters that are as effective against thier targets as the Nimitz
carries.

FT fighters remind me of WWI aircraft.

> If your cargo space has the facilities to fuel and arm the fighters,
it is a launch
> bay without the external hatch, so it will be almost as expensive.

Almost?  You must have no idea what it would take to have an external
door capable of
launching a "fighter" in a combat situation in space!  Airlock, some
sort of
grapple/arm/tractor beam capable of moving the craft out the door and
dropping it
off/picking it up, necessary armoring and structural strengthening to
keep the doors
from being achilies heels...

That doesn't include the necessary misc stuff that could be done without
but really
wouldn't...  The control crew (launch 60 fighters in a few moments time
and just TRY to
keep them from coliding with anything especially themselves, the
carrier, or any escort
vessels.), Safety and rescue crew and vessels, all the launch crew,
specially outfitted
medical crew, etc...

Rand.

Prev: RE: is there a GZG/WCCII??? Next: RE: [FT] Scale in Full Thrust