Prev: Re: Fighter bay design (was: FT-Fighters and bays) Next: Re: FT: Marine carriers?

Re: Fighter bay design (was: FT-Fighters and bays)

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 10:40:52 -0400
Subject: Re: Fighter bay design (was: FT-Fighters and bays)

At 3:49 PM +0900 6/7/01, Edward Lipsett wrote:
> The next-easiest is (3): if the fighter pilot is wounded or the
>fighter cannot be
>controlled safely for some reason, it should not be allowed to
>approach the carrier at
>all. Either the pilot is in an airtight environment (even a suit) or
>he's dead; if

This runs contrary to everything that is held to be in Aviation Ops.
You always want your crews knowing that you will do every thing you
can do to get them home alive. Morale would be severely impacted by
this. Given the nature of space flight, an automated approach ala
Harriers coming into land on a carrier (Stopping first then landing)
would be trivial.

>into air anyway. The carrier will not want any highly-explosive
weaponry and
>high-velocity fighters near it, even if they are friendly, unless
>they are under
>reliable control.

As opposed to currently where those aircraft come in and practically
crash land into the decks with all of this nasty gear onboard.
Armaments are safed by use of safeties and fuzing. The only time you
get major incidents is when you have fire. Hard to have that in
space....

[snip]
>is located under the launch/receiving deck, with  elevators (or open
>holes with air blasts for power, perhaps) feeding fighters up for
>launch. For safety
>reasons, there might well be launch-only bays, to make sure that
>no-one tries to land
>into a bay that another fighter is just elevating into.

Thats what the White shirts and LSO's are for. They control Aviation
ops and prevent aircraft from being put into the way of other
aircraft. They control activity on the deck. The Airboss controls
them and the airspace around the carrier.

>Edward lipsett
>Fukuoka, Japan
>elipsett@intercomltd.com

Wow, still over in Japan? I remember talking with you re that 2-3
years ago. How	is Fukuoka? Whats Kitakyushu look like now? I heard
they did away with the street cars...

--
- Ryan Montieth Gill		DoD# 0780 (Smug #1) / AMA / SOHC -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com  I speak not for CNN, nor they for me -

Prev: Re: Fighter bay design (was: FT-Fighters and bays) Next: Re: FT: Marine carriers?