Prev: Re: FT-Fighters and launch bays Next: Re: Fighter bay design (was: FT-Fighters and bays)

Re: Fighter bay design (was: FT-Fighters and bays)

From: "Bob Makowsky" <rmako@c...>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 11:20:22 -0300
Subject: Re: Fighter bay design (was: FT-Fighters and bays)

Jumping in here,  you are both correct.

A mechanism needs to be in place to rescue fighter pilots and have a
reasonable chance of success.  If not done their mission motivation is
very
low (jihadic pilots excepted but the cost of training exceeds the value
of a
one shot weapon).

On the other hand an out of control fighter ramming a carrier cannot be
good thing.  So I agree that they would not be let near Mother.

So there needs to be a way to recover pilots from crippled fighters (and
crews that escape the destruction of their vessels).  This seems to be
some
sort of Frigate or Corvette mission, something with plenty of speed (for
rendezvous) judicious armor (they will be conducting CSAR (Combat Search
and
Rescue)) and room for some sort of recovery vehicle/large airlock
(either go
and grab the stricken fighter or surround it with your ship then close
the
door (different from the Carrier doing this as you specifically design
your
MAW (Multi Aircraft Welcome) to be protected from damaged fighters and
if
you lose a CSAR Corvette/Frigate you have lost less than the Carrier.

This brings an interesting mission type into play,  a small quick force
trying to locate the ELTs of pilot survival capsules as the main battle
moves away.  The CSAR vessel would be protected by others (Most likely
fighters as they have a vested interest in it completing its mission)
and
would tend to dart in, grab then run.

Just my $0.02

Bob Makowsky