Prev: Re: WarFair - Atlanta GA USA - 6/15-17/01 Next: Re: [OT] What makes a good miniatures web site

Re: Canon - What makes something Canon?

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 10:26:07 EDT
Subject: Re: Canon - What makes something Canon?

On Tue, 5 Jun 2001 06:01:08 -0500 devans@uneb.edu writes:
<snip>

>On the other hand, the Texaco Freetrade Naval Service has fragile
>carriers,
>expensive uber fighters, and escorts with spinal mounted class 4. Not
>much
>sense, and probably not much use in a real fight, but I like the
>nebulous
>background that tries to rationalize 'em.
>
>The_Beast
>
>-Douglas J. Evans, curmudgeon
>
>One World, one Web, one Program - Microsoft promotional ad
>Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Fuhrer - Adolf Hitler

Ditto, I like the idea of matching the various aliens against each other
in my scenario generator based on Starguard, Ratner's Space Marines
(Pre-GW), my own fervid (if not fertile) imagination, a dash of Stellar
Conflicts and Uprisings, and a smidgen of Earth history extrapolated
unmercifully.

Each Alien race has a 'style' of FT ships - Nektons LOVE NB's (18 known
NB Needle Boat designs alone - all FT capable) but like MT missiles,
PT's
and 'one BIG beam' for non-NB ships;  while Klackons try to fit two
(paired) beams of the largest caliber they can get and strong and super
hulls on bigger ships backed up always by Armor, armor, armor plus the
latest WeapBur designed ships incorporating a screen in place of some of
the armor although "Joint Staff" is opposed to the idea; the Mertuns
like
lots of smaller beams, PT and screens; and the Whistlers with Fighters!
and SM's maxx'ed tied to average-to-fragile hulls and the only known
main
drive 12 Scout in this part of space. Oh, and a ton of "militia" Non-FTL
SD boats where the crews strive to gain enough glory to be transferred
the 'regulars'.

"Good" designs? - that may not be true in game terms but should make for
some fun games...

Fire the Canons!

Glenn/Triphibious

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Prev: Re: WarFair - Atlanta GA USA - 6/15-17/01 Next: Re: [OT] What makes a good miniatures web site