Prev: Re: Sensors Next: Re: [OT] USN and USAF sharing the same crack pipe

Re: Sensors

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 17:39:14 -0400
Subject: Re: Sensors

At 4:53 PM -0400 6/1/01, Roger Books wrote:

>With beyond 36" sensors I will just run into non-spoof range and
>look.	I don't care much what you show me unless you want to
>divide your forces and let me defeat  you in detail.

True, on a small table that is quite easy. Also as most games are
run, its not much use. But one of my wishes is to work up a means of
having campaigns that take place on spaces larger than the table.
Effectively a system battle that is more than the table top. When you
consider the size of a system even just ours, its very far from the
orbit of a planet like earth to the orbit of say Jupiter.

Some base distances for scale:

Its one Astronomical Unit from Earth to the Sun. 1.5 AU separate Mars
from the Sun. Jupiter is 5 AU, Saturn 9. Going further you have more
gas giants.

My thoughts on what makes for a good battle (like taking the Soloman
Islands, or the battle of Midway, or Dogger Bank say)  requires more
than one tables worth of play area. Even if its just task groups
represented on a map, there would be smaller groups of scouts,
Cruisers and DDs playing cat and mouse before the main battle lines
join.

Being able to have the major force in the right place at the right
time is what makes for a major victory. I like the idea of
introducing that big question of what battle are you going to fight
into the game.

- Ryan Montieth Gill		 ----------	      SW1025 H -
-   Internet Technologies  --  Data Center Manager (3N &10S)   -
- ryan.gill@turner.com			 rmgill@mindspring.com -
-		   www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       -
- C&R-FFL -	  The gunshow loophole isn't		 - NRA -
-	     keep federal laws out of private lives	       -

Prev: Re: Sensors Next: Re: [OT] USN and USAF sharing the same crack pipe