Prev: [LST] Double msgs, again Re: [SG2] an odd idea for figure basing Next: Re : [OT] Figure painting question

Re: tank gun acceleration versus orbital gun acceleration

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 20:42:03 +0200
Subject: Re: tank gun acceleration versus orbital gun acceleration

Rob Hofrichter wrote:

>A tank gun shoots a round with muzzle velocity in the 1000 m/sec range
>(see "Modern Land Combat" but Miller and Foss).  A gun barrel is say
appx
>5 m long.  Assume (for the sake of serious simplicity) that
acceleration
>in the gun barrel is constant.  The acceleration that the projectile is

>subjected to should be about 10,000 g (100,000 m/sec2).  Please notice
>that I'm using conveniently rounded figures.

The biggest approximation is that you assume a constant acceleration.
With
today's propellant-powered guns it isn't, so the accels for "dumb" tank
main gun rounds peaks around 40-50,000 g.

>   Also note that we are talking about a "dumb" round--the guided
missile
> rounds generally have fairly low velocities (gun-wise).

[ka-snip]

> From this, I think you can begin to see that barrel length is VERY
> important to the solution.

Yep, and superguns tend to be very long indeed. But also the
time-acceleration profile - if you can maintain a reasonably constant
acceleration all along the barrel you get away with a far lower peak
acceleration for any given muzzle velocity.

>I'm sure Oerjan can come up with better numbers--and probably has the
data
>on how fast the guided tank rounds come out of the barrel...

Not at home, unfortunately :-(

Later,
Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.

Prev: [LST] Double msgs, again Re: [SG2] an odd idea for figure basing Next: Re : [OT] Figure painting question