Prev: Re: [OT]-ish : Figure painting question - Craft store Paints Next: Re: RE: [FT] Simultaneous Fire

RE: [OT]-ish : Figure painting question - Craft store Paints

From: "Dean Gundberg" <Dean.Gundberg@n...>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 13:15:19 -0500
Subject: RE: [OT]-ish : Figure painting question - Craft store Paints

> Just a quick question about craft store paints.....  I often see
paints at
> craft stores that have about 4 or so fluid ounces in them....  on
> sale they
> go for less than a buck a bottle.....  I think they're acrylics
>
> How good are these paints for painting miniatures?  Or should I
> just get the
> 'specialty' paints from the likes of GW, the armory, etc....

I use only craft paints, my wife already had a bunch of them so it was
easy
to try them.  She still doesn't understand why I don't want to share
brushes
though. More colors and you get twice as much for half the price plus a
better lid than some lines of mini paint.

There is a difference in brands.  Ceramcoat is usually a bit more
expensive
but I like it the most.  Apple Barrel is good but a bit thinner.  Folk
Art
is much thicker than the others so I don't use it much though I do like
their 'Extender'.  This is a product make to delay drying times, help in
blending colors, and make them translucent, so I find it the perfect
medium
for making washes.  Put 5-10 drops on my pallet, a drop of paint in
another
spot, use the brush to get just a bit of paint and mix with the
extender,
repeat until the wash is the right color (takes practice) and slather
all
over the mini.	It takes a while to dry but no bubbles and it gets into
all
the nooks and crannies.

Dean Gundberg

Starship Combat News
The latest information on Space Games and Miniatures
http://star_ranger.homestead.com/

Prev: Re: [OT]-ish : Figure painting question - Craft store Paints Next: Re: RE: [FT] Simultaneous Fire