Prev: Re: More pictures from the Launceston Game Next: Re: More pictures from the Launceston Game

[DS2] Snipers

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@f...>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 22:37:45 -0400
Subject: [DS2] Snipers

Thinking some more on sniper teams and on
EW teams, I came up with what follows (on
snipers... EW is still just a nascent thought).

Comments? The pricing is just a guestimate on
how effective the unit might be and remains to
be tested on the tabletop. The write up is also
possibly unclear, so if there exists any perplexity
as to what I mean, please mention it. This is cut
0.5 but I thought it might be of interest.

Between this and doing APFC belts and PDS for
SG2, I'm getting closer to having what I consider
a harmonious set of rules and TO&E that scale
well.

Without further adieu, Snipers for DS2....
================================
Sniper Teams in DS2

Sniper teams in DS2 are two man teams (sniper
plus observer). The sniper (and possibly his
observer) are armed with weapons capable of
long range, accurate fire (although often times
the observer is equiped with a close combat
weapon for local defense).

The sniper has a 10" effective range if using
modern sniping weapons (gauss rifle, laser rifle)
or an 8" effective range if using older
conventional sniping weapons.

The sniper team is treated as a unit unto itself
for movement, morale and firing purposes.

When the sniper fires, fire is conducted as
normal infantry fire combat, only interpreted
slightly differently.

Ineffective fire: No effect, but does place an
under fire marker.

Partially effective fire: Draw 1 chit and place an
under fire marker. Confidence Test at TL + 0. If
the 1 chit drawn destroys the target stand, and
the target stand was a UNIT leader stand, then
apply the rules for Unit Leader Loss and
Replacement.

Effective fire: Draw 1 chit, place an under fire
marker. Confidence Test at TL + 0. Note, if the
particular stand under fire is the UNIT leader,
then apply the Unit Leader Loss and
Replacement rules (including the TL +3
Confidence test) in place of the TL + 0 Test.
Note, in this case, the command stand may not
actually have been eliminated (unless the one
chit draw killed it) but the lead figure (the platoon
leader) is actually dead, producing the
equivalent effects. The only difference is that if
the 1 chit drawn did not kill the command stand,
then this stand is still considered the UNIT leader
stand, just with the platoon sergeant taking over.

A sniper team requires 3 damage points to
destroy. Sniper basic movement factor is 4.
(light infantry)

A sniper team may begin the game hidden. One
appropriate hidden counter and one dummy
may be placed on the board within 3" of one
another. Thereafter, on any activation, a sniper
unit in cover may declare it is "going into hiding"
and replace the stand with the counter and a
dummy. I wouldn't think the sniper could move
once hidden.

Sniper Team costs 30 pts (8" range) or 40 pts
(10" range).

Prev: Re: More pictures from the Launceston Game Next: Re: More pictures from the Launceston Game