Prev: Re: VTOL fighting in DS2 Next: [DSII] Re: VTOL fighting

Re: VTOL fighting in DS2

From: Brian A Quirt <baqrt@m...>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 12:01:35 -0300 (ADT)
Subject: Re: VTOL fighting in DS2

On May 4 , devans@uneb.edu wrote:

> ***
> And FWIW, Interface capable elements may be
> priced at 1000%, but that's insane.
> ***
>
> However, I'm wondering if you are using the VTOL's as landers,
> ground support, AND air superiority, or if there's different VTOL's
> with different capabilities?

     That probably depends on what kind of force you're planning for.
For example, the current DSII force that I'm planning is a high-tech
intervention force (actually, it's a combined arms force, with a
particular configuration of FT spacecraft and attached ground forces).
     The force is, overall, somewhat reminiscent of a cross
between "Aliens", _A Small Colonial War_, the Arkadic marines from
_Exordium_, and assorted others in smaller amounts. The ground force
is actually entirely based on VTOL's, and (at least in the universe
I'm using), these VTOL's have interface capability (somewhat like
Renegade Legion grav tanks, or Traveller Air/Rafts or (I think) Grav
Tanks). The force is thus a (relatively) small force composed of VTOL
gunships, APC's (carrying powered armour), VTOL engineering (and
command) vehicles, VTOL Artillery (not RAM artillery, even though it
SHOULD be usable by grounded VTOL's, I was using rocket-based
artillery), VTOL cargo ships, etc. The force had 2 interface landers
(to recover disabled VTOLs).
     Some of the VTOLs may end up carrying APCs (grav or hover)
instead of PA for whatever purposes, but I'm not sure yet.

The idea of this force is a quick, largely self-sufficient reaction
force, to be used in a universe where as long as you're transporting
mass, you may as well get the BEST possible technology, because the
major cost is in the transportation.

That's one example of why VTOL's may be used. Does it answer any
questions, or just raise more?

-Brian Quirt

Prev: Re: VTOL fighting in DS2 Next: [DSII] Re: VTOL fighting