Prev: RE: DS - OT - Cross Genre Designs Next: A question of ettiquete and focus

Re: [FT] WotW #8 Gatling Battery & Gatling Phaser

From: "Bif Smith" <bif@b...>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 18:23:09 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT] WotW #8 Gatling Battery & Gatling Phaser

----- Original Message -----
From: Charles Taylor <charles.taylor@cableol.co.uk>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2001 11:01 PM
Subject: [FT] WotW #8 Gatling Battery & Gatling Phaser

> Well, if we've finished with the Holofield, I suggest something
simple,
> that shouldn't take long, a '2 for the price on 1 deal' (ok, so they
> have similar names).
>
> Gatling Batteries [Paul Wellman] (Sam Penn's Website)
> MASS: 3, Cost 9
>
> The Gatling battery is a high rate of fire class 1 battery, with an
> effective range of 9mu and attacks target ships with 4 dice.
> Alternatively, the Gatling Battery can attack incoming fighters and
> missiles as 2 standard PDS.
>
> Comments: (Oerjan) Mass and cost is for FT2, not FB. Superseded by the
> Pulser-C.

To myself, this is a bit underpowered and lacking in range compaired to
a C
pulsar. If it was allowed to use PDS die at it full 9MU range, might be
bit better (thinking for when combined with ADFCons).

> Gatling Phaser [Star Fleet Battles Conversions by Alan Brain]
>
> Treat as Re-useable submunitions which do not ignore shields (i.e. a
> half range class 3 beam) but can be fired at incoming Fighters,
Missiles
> and Plasma Torpedos as a single PDS. Still requires Firecon in PDS
mode.
> Same cost and arcs as a Class 2 Beam.
>
> Comments: (Oerjan) Depending on its PD firepower it could be anything
> from very poor or very good. It should balance ~OK if it gets 1 PDS
die
> or 2-3 B1 dice against fighters/missiles/plasma torps. I know I've
asked
> Alan about it before, but can't find his reply at the moment.

I`d use single PDS die (KISS), although the firepower potential is
better
than the gattling battery.

BIF

"Yorkshire born, yorkshire bred,
strong in arms, thick in head"

Prev: RE: DS - OT - Cross Genre Designs Next: A question of ettiquete and focus