Prev: Re: The United States in Full Thrust Next: Re: The United States in Full Thrust

RE: The United States in Full Thrust

From: steve@p...
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 15:02:30 +0100
Subject: RE: The United States in Full Thrust

On 27 Apr 2001, at 6:34, David Griffin wrote:

> I have to admit my secondary motivation  to bring this up is that I
> don't buy the fluff. I don't see the US collapsing,

Why? Are the US politicians and economists somehow better than all
the others throughout history?

> or US generals taking control and asking for UN intervention,

Why? Are the US generals too indecisive to try and rectify a bad
situation? Are they too proud to help for outside help?

> or us becoming a part of the NAC.

Becoming a founder member of a global super-power that makes the
current USA look lightweight, how terrible would that be?

> I'm not a stickler for plausibility (I watch Star Trek), but that
> strains even my suspension of disbelief.  Come on, we're better than
> that.

I'm sure that a Roman would have said similar things if you'd
predicted a collapse of his empire.

> Can't you see how appealing it would be
> for a Brit to have England be a major player
> again instead of this breakaway colony
> who's now back where it "belonged." Hey
> I like England as much as the next
> American, but we didn't want to be an
> English colony back in 1776 and I don't
> see it happening in the future.

Now I don't get this. Where does it say that the USA becomes a
British (not English) colony? The background states that the UK, the
USA and Canada unite under the crown. The Queen is head of state in
Canada today. Doesn't make Canada a british colony though.

I see the NAC as a confederation of all three founder members, with a
single government (with the monarch as titular head of state) but
with distinct regional differences. The USA would make up the bulk of
the AC's population when first founded - there's no way that all
those people could be treated as second class citizens. The former
USA provided the nascent NAC with the bulk of its resources and
population - in many ways the former USA was the very core of the
NAC.

If you want to talk about the downtrodden colonial population, then
what about the inhabitants of the former LLAR?

	Steve

--
The Ground Zero Games Meta-FAQ is available at
http://steve.pugh.net/grunt/meta-faq.txt

Prev: Re: The United States in Full Thrust Next: Re: The United States in Full Thrust