Prev: Re: [SG] No idea what I am doing. Help! Next: Re: FT-Battleships

Re: FT-Battleships

From: Charles Taylor <charles.taylor@c...>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 20:37:00 +0100
Subject: Re: FT-Battleships

In message <Pine.SOL.4.05.10104241234080.22432-100000@babu.pcisys.net>
	  Mike Stanczyk <stanczyk@pcisys.net> wrote:

> Questions inserted below
>
> On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Charles Taylor wrote:
>
> > As an alternative idea, we could 'nick' the Vree turret concept from
B5
> > wars - and modify accordingly -
> >
> > This system can contain any number of sub-systems whose total mass
does
> > not exceed the class of turret.
> > The sub-systems are usually 1-arc weapons, but can include any
system
> > (only worth it for limited arc systems).
> >
> Any system?  *snicker* Wave Gun? *snicker*  Serously, though should
some
> of the missle systems be turreted?
I don't see why not, of course, its quite possible that the turret
motors cannot be powered on the turn the wave gun is to fire - so you
need to rotate your turret the previous turn :-)
Less reason to turret missiles (except perhaps SMPs).

> > The turret system is represented by a circle enclosing the
sub-systems.

> > In play, the facing of each turret must be selected and noted during
the
> > 'write orders' phase (facing is 1 of the 6 arcs) - this facing then
> > becomes the facing of the sub-systems for the remainder of the turn.
> >
> > The turret is susceptable to threshold checks as normal - if it
fails a
> > check - it is jammed in its current position until fixed -
sub-systems
> > roll thresholds separately.
>
> What happens if the turret is needle beamed?	(Can it be needle
beamed?
> Suddenly I'm drawing a blank on that.)
It is disabled, and locked in its last position for the rest of the
game (PSB needle takes out the turret motor).

> > Armour and structure of turret are figured as part of hull (for
simplicity).

> > MASS = Turret Class/4 for 3-arc travers, Class/2 for 5-arc traverse.
> > This does not include the MASS of the sub-systems - which must be
paid
> > for separately.
> >
> > COST = MASS x2 (does not include sub-systems)
> >
> > MASS and COST values are open to discussion :-)
> >
> The only contraint on the MASS/COST I can think of is this: A Turret
with a
> specific one arc weapon should cost more than the weapon expanded to
include
> those arcs if possible.
>
> I.E. a single turreted class 3 beam should cost more than a 3 arc
class 3 beam.

> Mike

Remember that turrets are less useful than normal extra fire arcs, as
the turret arc must be selected during the write orders phase.

Well, thats my thinking anyway.

Charles

Prev: Re: [SG] No idea what I am doing. Help! Next: Re: FT-Battleships