Prev: Re: [SG] No idea what I am doing. Help! Next: Re: FT-Battleships

Re: [SG] No idea what I am doing. Help!

From: Andy Cowell <andy@c...>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 10:50:00 -0500
Subject: Re: [SG] No idea what I am doing. Help!

In message
<2A5C49585B46EC42BB99D3000F725D4707479D@col1smx01.dscc.dla.mil>, "Be
ll, Brian K (Contractor)" writes:

> If the unit is whole (no detachments) and firing at one target, then
the
> combined fire (rifle + support weapon(s)) would all be rolled at one
time.
> I.e. disallow an undetached unit from firing more than once at a given
> target in an activation; if you want multiple attacks against a given

This is a matter of what you feel a squad firing in SG2 represents.
This isn't outlined in the rules, and so is a somewhat subjective
concept.  It's certainly true in modern tactics that squads will
oraganize themselves into multiple parts to fire at the same target.

US Army field manuals are the best resource I have available about
real world tactics, so here's another example, this from FM 7-9,
"Infantry Rifle Platoon and Squad."  The Squad Attack battle drill
shows the squad splitting in half to divide fire at a single target.

http://www.adtdl.army.mil/cgi-bin/atdl.dll/fm/7-8/ch4.htm#d1a

In particular, this image:

http://www.adtdl.army.mil/cgi-bin/atdl.dll/fm/7-8/fig4-3.gif

Whether or not this is represented in SG2 by a single squad firing
once in its entirity or dividing its fire is really a matter of
opinion.  I don't recall anything in the rules which would lead me to
believe one method is preferable to the other.

> Squad Alpha is moving through a forest. They come upon a clearing and
spot
> an enemy unit on the other side of the clearing. They ALL fire at the
enemy
> unit. I find it unlikely that some would fire while some wait, then
others
> would fire, with no additional direction.

You're assuming a "wait" between fire, which may not exist-- SG2 has a
fairly lax time scale.	I don't think anybody seriously considers it
to be the case that the second half of the squad is smoking cigarettes
and watching their wristwatch waiting for their time to fire.  The
question should simply be whether or not "double fire" at a target is
a reasonable tactic and gives a reasonable effect.  In my opinion, it
does seem to resemble real world tactics and intended effect (better
chance at suppression).

> Same situation as above, but Corp Lands and Pvt Aspel spot a machine
gun
> nest and choose to fire their SAWs at the larger threat rather than at
the
> regulars the rest of the squad is firing at.
>
> The enemy regulars retreat and Sgt. Mackie directs the SAWs to stay
put and
> suppress the machine gun nest (detachment) while the rest of the squad
tries
> to get into better firing possition.
>
> If this is unrealistic, please explain and provide an example of what
should
> happen.

I don't feel this is unrealistic, but I do feel that it is distinctly

Prev: Re: [SG] No idea what I am doing. Help! Next: Re: FT-Battleships