Prev: Re: [SG] Needle Weapons Next: RE: Re: [SG] Needle Weapons

Re: FT - No initiative simultaneous fire

From: "stranger" <stranger@c...>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 19:02:14 -0400
Subject: Re: FT - No initiative simultaneous fire

> Sounds waaay too complicated. I don't believe in thrust based
initiative
> personally since I think it's more about the firecontrol and the
ship's
> crew then the speed of the ship itself. The more you try and break
> things down and even things up by ship stats the more complex and
> unwieldly it gets. I'd rather not spend an equal time calculating
groups
> and fire procedure as actual gaming. If you're really intent on making
> it more even for those who have more ships and don't like just drawing
> cards try this:

Personally, I could care less about evening it up for the smaller ships.
All I was trying to do was offer a solution that carried many of the
good
arguments in it.  I don't think the system is brokem when you factor in
the
idea that the system was built very generically to allow people to
recreate
their favorite genre's in science fiction andf simulate it in the game.
On
any kind of wide open points system like that, it is very very easy to
blow
the balance all to hell and take all kinds of advantage.  I really think
its
the genre that controls balance.  I've heard that termed an "artificial"
limitation before, but I disagree.  Even for genre's people make up,
after
some playing they will know what works and what doesn't.  Ther person
building the super-Sa'Vasku ship was not keeping wihtin the genre, and
that's why it didn't balance.  If he had been interested in playing the
genre his design would have been within the framework provided for the
Sa'Vasku.

If I had to change the system, I think I would opt for simultaneous
fire.
The turns are just too large scale for small differences in ship
maneuverability, quality, and crew differences to matter much.	However,
I'm
all for it if it is in keeping with whatever genre you're trying to
portray.

Prev: Re: [SG] Needle Weapons Next: RE: Re: [SG] Needle Weapons