Prev: [FT] PBLs Next: RE: [FT] PBLs

Re: [FT] PBLs

From: Shawn M Mininger <smininger@y...>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 15:38:35 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [FT] PBLs

Well, I hadn't thought about missiles, but I'll tell
you how we do the fighters.

Essentially, the plasma bolt is an area effect weapon.
 Anything in the area gets hit with the amount of dice
equal to the power of the bolt.  This can be degraded
by PDS and beam1 hits.

The way we handle fighters vs. plasma bolts, is that
after the ship defense part (PDS, etc) the remaining
strength of the hit is rolled.	Anything in that area
takes damage.  So we roll for every fighter group in
the area of effect, just like we roll for ships.  Each
point of damage destroys a fighter.

It seems to work very well.  We tend to do missiles
and plasma bolts before fighters, so if there are any
fighters left, then they can attack.

What we have found is that a plasma bolt can be a
really nasty anti-fighter weapon.  A couple of times,
the player using the phalons actually unloaded a
single dice plasma bolt on himslef, figuring he could
take a few hits, but it'll wipe out the fighters.  It
worked pretty well at taking out alot of fighters....I
should know, they were my fighters.

--- John Crimmins <johncrim@voicenet.com> wrote:
> I buried this question in a larger e-mail last week,
> and no one seemed to
> notice the poor thing...so I shall ask again,
> because the question becomes
> relevant later this week.
>
> What effect, if any, does an exploding plasma bolt
> have upon MT missiles
> and/or fighters?  Salvo-launched missiles would
> impact during the same
> phase that the bolt detonates, so they won't be
> around to worry about it,
> of course.
>
> Automatic destruction?  Roll a d6 and take out that
> many fighters from each
> squadron?  Treat the blast as a scattergun shot?  Or
> maybe no effect at all?
>
> Anyone?  Bueller?
>

> John X Crimmins
> johncrim@voicenet.com
>   "...is one of the secret masters of the world: a
> librarian.
> They control information.  Don't ever piss one off."
>   --Spider Robinson, The Callahan Touch.

=====
Thank You,

Shawn M Mininger