Prev: [OT] Maps Next: Re: [OT] Maps

RE: [DS] Heavy Weapon Teams

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 20:40:46 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: RE: [DS] Heavy Weapon Teams

--- Chris Downes-Ward <cdownes-ward@9a.co.uk> wrote:

> I was originally "inspired" by a picture I saw in
> (IIRC) Jane's Defence> Review> annual for 1989 of a
Swedish soldier using a ground> mount auto cannon of
> some> sort. When I get home this evening I'll see if

I know of several ground-mount AA guns--some of which
are made by Bofors so Swedes would be using them.  All
of these that I know of require a prime mover to haul
around.

The only 20mm guns I know of that are intended to be
manportable for more than the shortest distances (you
can push good-sized guns around with their crews.  But
not far) were the 20mm anti-tank rifles used in WWII
by the Italians, Poles, and Finns.  Of those, all were
bolt action excepting the Finnish Lahti.  This was
semi-automatic.  It was, however, also a conversion of
an autocannon and supposedly a few were left fully
automatic.  The problem is of course, hauling around
the ammo.  That, and the damage a full-auto 20mm is
going to do to your shoulder, even with a muzzle brake
and bipod.

John

Prev: [OT] Maps Next: Re: [OT] Maps