Prev: Re: Light infantry versus light infantry Next: Re: [SG] Scout units

RE: Cheese factor

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 19:57:55 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: RE: Cheese factor

--- Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au> wrote:

> Seriously though, not all of us know correct unit
> organisation, so for > those who do actually want to
learn the helpful > pointers to resources and
> polite explanations are very helpful. However, on
> the flip side as pointed > out for the UN discussion
this is science fiction so > I'd anticipate a
> little more flexibility. This is one of the main
> reasons I usually play > aliens - it means people
won't b*tch to me about the> fact its not
> "organised correctly". Come paying job time though I
> do intend on getting > some human figures, but as
the supreme commander of > the IAS I can tell you
> they will be in 5 man squads and that will be 6
> squads to whatever the next > level of organisation
is called. There is no deep > military reason behind
> this other than I like each fig to be different and
> that's how many figs > I'll have ;)

Platoon.  And OK, that's not really a problem.	But I
can tell in "Real Life" that the reason that
militaries adopted the '3-5 rule' on how many subunits
any unit can have is due to the limits of command and
control.  Give a commander more than 5 things to worry
about and it overwhelms his ability to keep track of
things.

And 5 man squads. . . It's your army, but you're going
to start loosing combat effectiveness quickly once you
start taking casualties.  I've considered taking my
light guys to WWII standards--12 or 13 man squads.

John

Prev: Re: Light infantry versus light infantry Next: Re: [SG] Scout units