Prev: Re: Kh'iff Next: Re: [FT] (LONG) The Balance of Power -- Fighters and a Defense

RE: Cheese factor

From: Shawn M Mininger <smininger@y...>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 15:41:34 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: RE: Cheese factor

I just got this, first I read of the initial comments.

I just sent off a reply earlier with the breakdown of
fireteams, squads, platoons, companies, and regiments
that we use in the US Marine Corps.  Please be aware
that I was giving a textbook structure, and only for
the USMC, it's a bit different for every nation, but
most follow the same basic structure.

I do want to say one thing.....John, you are really
not being very helpful.  Flamming someone on this list
doesn't solve anything.  Being abusive to people
coming to this mailing list for help sure isn;t the
way to improve everyone's gaming experience.  I am
sure you had no intention of being abusive, but it
came accross that way. You might want to consider
re-reading you emails before you send them out.  That
helps filter out momentary emotions.

--- Derek Fulton <derekfulton@bigpond.com> wrote:
> At 08:35  2/04/01 -0700, John Atkinson wrote:
> >Hack, spit!	A platoon has to (by definition) have
> >multiple squads.  And 4 men isn't a squad, it's a
> fire
> >team (now, if these are SAS, then this is different
> >story--but it always is with elite forces).	By my
> >count you've 34 bodies.  That's a goddamn platoon
> in
> >any army in the world.  Rename your platoons to
> >squads.  Rename your squads to fireteams.  And call
> >the goddamn thing a platoon.
>
> <snip>
>

> >That's still not a goddamn company.	It's now a
> >reinforced platoon.
>
> <snip>
>
> >Further investigation?  If you'd just look the
> bloody
> >term up in a dictionary you wouldn't have this
> >problem.
>
> <snip>
>
> >YES.  That's what you've got.
> >
> >"Platoon" has a specific meaning to wargamers and
> >soldiers.  If I say "platoon" then what I mean is
> >"unit between 20 and 50 men, composed of 3-5 squads
> >and led by junior officer or senior NCO".  If you
> >define platoon as "whatever I feel like putting on
> the
> >board and getting extra activations for" you are
> going
> >to piss people off and look ignorant[1].
> >
> >John
> >[1]Or stupid.  Hard to tell from one instance.
>

> A platoon 1.a military sub-unit consisting to two or
> more sections being
> part of a company. 2. a company or group of persons.
>
> Perhaps John should go stand in the corner ;) when
> he's calmed down he can
> come back and play with the grownups.
>
> Derek
>

> Derek Fulton
> 12 Balaka st.
> Rosny, Hobart.
> Tasmania,  7018.
> Australia
>
> Phone; (03) 62459123
> Email; derekfulton@bigpond.com
> URL; http://www.users.bigpond.com/derekfulton/

=====
Thank You,

Shawn M Mininger

Prev: Re: Kh'iff Next: Re: [FT] (LONG) The Balance of Power -- Fighters and a Defense