Prev: Re: [OT] Listen up you apes! Next: RE: Cheese factor

Re: Kh'iff

From: Derk Groeneveld <derk@c...>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 00:37:58 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: Re: Kh'iff

<Pine.LNX.3.96.1010403093507.7003B-100000@derk.penguinpowered.com>,
> Derk Groeneveld writes:
> > They are deeply religious people, who cannot accept the violation of
their
> > lands for (fill in whatever cause of conflict you like). After their
> > protests went unheard, they picked up arms to defend what they see
as
> > _theirs_.
>
> I'll stick to the game mechanics here-- they're a doglike people.  You
> can build whatever background up around that.

Yup :) Just some fluff, is all.

> > - - Pack mentality
> > The effect of this pack mentality is that Kh'iff squads test as one
> > motivation level lower than normal, when they cannot see any other
Kh'iff
> > squads (of their own pack/platoon??).
> :
> > The sole exception to the above rule are their expert
huntsmen/stalkers,
> > (snipers)  who found the courage to face danger on their own, and
hence do

> Wolf packs have a clear-cut hierarchy, but there is sometimes violent
> encounters for leadership.  I'd maybe give them some sort of bonus for
> communicating without a roll-- say, increase the range from 6" to 9"
> or 12", especially if they're taking a hit on comm rolls due to low
> tech.  This is for scents, better hearing, etc...  I'd also have the
> main "pack" take worse morale rolls for losing a leader.

I like the sound of that - I had a very vague idea in that direction,
and
this sounds just right.

> Perhaps the huntsmen are forced outside the pack because they pose a
> challenge to the leadership.	Force them to stay a certain distance
> from the pack leader, or both lose an action during activation, warily
> watching the other for a threat.

*grin* Neat.

> > The Kh'iff wear heavy hide coats, giving them an effective armour of
D6
> > (or would d8 be okay as well? d8 strikes me as a bit excessive, but
I'm

> I think a base d6 would be good.

OK

> > curious what other people think?). I'm thinking of giving Kh'iff
8"/d8
> > movement rate, even in their robes... Although I'd imagine they'd
slow

> This is what I did with my dog/cat Traveler figs (whatever those races
> are).

OK

> > Kh'iff infantry is armed with a long range gauss rifle (read,
regular
> > gauss assault rifle, FP 2 - unless someone has a better suggestion),
and
> > supported with automatic grenade launcher (the drum-fed weapon), and
gauss
> > MG's. Their sniper have a highly accurate gauss sniper rifle.
>
> Seems like dogs have better vision than us.  Perhaps give them a bonus
> to hit, maybe only if the target unit moved this turn?

I'm a bit wary to directly touch the main combat mechanism; I'm not
entirely sure how big the impact will be. Another thought I had was
giving
them slightly longer range bands?

 > > - - Senses
> >
> > Even though the Kh'iff have no technologically advanced sensors,
they take
> > sensor rolls at a D8 at the first two range bands (due to their
highly
> > developed sense of smell), and on a D6 at longer ranges if in their
own
> > habitat, D4 otherwise.
>
> Sounds good.

Thanks :)

> > - - EW
> >
> > Yeah, rrrrright. However, I'd like the Kh'iff to have some ability
to be
> > sneaky bastards. Any suggestions here?
>
> Downshift for others to detect them in hiding?

Mmm :)

> > - - Sneaky movement
> >
> > Kh'iff suffer one less penalty due to group size, as they are used
> > hunting with their fellow squaddies.
>
> ?  What rule is this?

Ahh. I was referring to the neaky movement rules somebody published on
the
net. look at the rules pages on www.stargrunt.com, I think it's there
somewhere.

> > - - Close Combat
> >
> > The Kh'iff are very sensitive to the weight of numbers. I'd like to
give
> > them an extra penalty if outnumbered, and a bonus if outnumbering.
Is this
> > feasible or does this wreck the system?
>
> Well, the first thing is that DOGS SMELL FEAR!  If they're within
> charge distance of an enemy squad that is Shaken or worse, they have
> to pass a reaction test (+0, Shaken; +1 Broken; +3 Routed) at the
> start of their turn OTW they MUST CC that unit.

Ooo! I _like_ the concept. OTOH< I didn't want to make them into cliche
'they're alien therefore close assault monsters' ;)

> I like the numbers thing.  Maybe they get a bonus if they combine
> their attack with another squad.

OK, got to think on that :)

Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers,

   Derk
Version: GnuPG v1.0.4 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Made with pgp4pine

iD8DBQE6ylDLJXH58oo6ncURAlMkAKDm42+W5rwmdqRfgRcCAbTF+F3H+ACgjdRr
1O1r8+l+6k109IsR0ZTBGYw=
=KmKJ

Prev: Re: [OT] Listen up you apes! Next: RE: Cheese factor