Prev: Re: [FH] Third world stellar nations Next: Cheese factor

Re: Fighters and Defense

From: "Izenberg, Noam" <Noam.Izenberg@j...>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 21:39:02 -0400
Subject: Re: Fighters and Defense

From: David Griffin <carbon_dragon@yahoo.com>

<snip interesting analis of current balance of power and opinions on FT>

>How does it work in Full Thrust? <snip this analysis, which I happen to
disagree with b/c the scale of FT and modern naval warfare are, IMO not
really comparable.

>Because of this fact, I think the balance of
>power is more on the side of the fighter than
>they should be in FT.

I don't agree. Mass for mass, Fighters are neutralized by PDS/ADFC
(assuming
effective tactics).

To redress this, .... the Small Unit Missile
System (SUMS).

SUMS costs the same as a salvo missile
launcher to install (3 for the launcher and 2
each for each reload). Point cost is 3xthe
mass of the weapons (as standard). The
symbol is a circle containing a salvo missile
symbol and the letter S, with a line to the
magazine.

> Maximum range is 50".

This is longer range than any normal weapon in the game. Your later
comment
"Surely a system like
this is not out of the technological reach of the
particpants." Is IMO belied by the fact that only extreme (Class 5
beams)
and genre weapons have ranges like this.

If they're missiles, they have to be fired at missile launch phase. Any
fighter with a secondary move should be able to avouid them with ease.
If
they can't escape, then this system is a 50" scattergun. I don't think
salvo
missile costs will quite cut it.

My conclsion: Even if fighters are slightly overpowered (something I
disagree with, certainly if you use morale rules), then SUMS are
overkill.

Noam

Prev: Re: [FH] Third world stellar nations Next: Cheese factor