Prev: Full Thrust Ship Creator v2.0 Next: Re: WotD Laser Targeting

When does skirmish scale becomes battle scale?

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 09:43:43 EDT
Subject: When does skirmish scale becomes battle scale?

From: Glenn M Wilson <warbeads@juno.com>
To: ColonialWars@yahoogroups.com,
WorldWarIISkirmish@yahoogroups.com,LaceWars@yahoogroups.com,
Early_American_Wars@yahoogroups.com,ChristianWargamesGroup@yahoogroups.c
om,
ancmed@yahoogroups.com,REMPAS@yahoogroups.com,
FrenchRevolutionaryWars@yahoogroups.com,triphibious@juno.com,
Dwarf_warrior@juno.com
Cc: warbeads@juno.com, WilsonG@nima.mil
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 09:07:07 EDT

Please excuse the cross-posting and please forgive me if you are not a
miniatures enthusiast?

A question on morality of miniatures/war games and an unrelated question
on previewing miniatures before buying (Web, shop, friend) started a
thread of thought that became a question.  I pass it on to you.  I
realize this is OT for ChristianWargamesGroup@yahoogroups.com but I
welcome you contributions (off that list to not spam it with OT replies
-
compounding my (pun alert) sin.) also.

Okay, after all that -

Where does the ratio of figure to persons cross over from 'skirmish' to
'battle'?

I ran through a mental list of all the rules - those I had played with
(owned some like chainmail, Dirtside 2, Gygax's only historical rules -
Classic Warfare, TSATF, etc.) or had contact with - of ratio's and made
this list:

Okay the first two are clearly "skirmish" but where does "battle" begin:

1:1
1:5
1:10
1:20-25 (lumped them)
1:30-33 (ditto)
1:50
1:60
1:100

And I am sure there others but this should suffice, I would think.

OH, and just how many angels *can* dance on the head of a pin??
<grin>

Gracias,  Glenn.
*Early* North American skirmish games
Biblical Wars battles, Medieval skirmishes
Other selected Historicals miniatures games

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

Prev: Full Thrust Ship Creator v2.0 Next: Re: WotD Laser Targeting