Prev: RE: WotD Laser Targeting Next: Re: [SG2] New 25mm Miniature Line

Re: Fire Order WAS Re: Chit-based FT? Re: Fleet Escorts

From: "stranger" <stranger@c...>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 17:45:14 -0500
Subject: Re: Fire Order WAS Re: Chit-based FT? Re: Fleet Escorts

> > I really like the cards idea, I don't like the smaller ships always
fire
> > first idea simply because there seems no reason for it, except that
their
> > smaller.  Now, maybe if each ship had an initiative rating that was
based on
> > a combination of randomness and mass or thrust or something.  For
example,
> > roll initiative as usual, then add THRUST rating.  Ships fire in
order
of
> > HIGHEST total rating to least.  The justification here is that the
higher
> > THRUST ships are more maneuverable, and thus would usually be in the
best
> > position to react thus fire earlier.
>
> what does thrust/velocity have to do with the reaction time of the
gunnery
> crews and targeting software???

It doesn't, but it does have everything to do with the ability of the
ship
to react to the situation.

> > Of course the argument could go other ways to, I mean on bigger
ships,
being
> > more stable in a fight, the crew is calmer (possibly) thus more
focused
on
> > the fight, then say the crew of the corvette that's fighting to hold
the
> > ship together and line up a shot at the same time.....
>
> there you go, crew quality IMO is the major determining factor of who
can
> get off the first shots.

Exactly.  I think both arguments are valid.  Better yet, a good system
would
take both into account.

> whatever you decide, I would recommend a simple system for fire order
so
> it's easy to remember and doesn't slow down the game.

Personally, my favorite is the current initiative rule.  But, I favor a
very
simple solution if that is ever changed, because if I wanted to play a
game
where I spent all of my time looking at rules and calculating, I'd play
SFB.

George

Prev: RE: WotD Laser Targeting Next: Re: [SG2] New 25mm Miniature Line