Prev: Re: WotD Laser Targeting Next: Re: (FT) Point Value for Hulls

Re: [FT] Rules Questions

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 19:29:36 +0200
Subject: Re: [FT] Rules Questions

Robertson, Brendan replied to David Griffin:

>2.	Under FTFB1-2, there is no minimum size for a carrier, as long
as
>you have enough mass.	Theoretically you could build a carrier of 9
mass >(1 hull, MD 3, FTL, 1 fighter bay),

An FBx fighter bay is 9 Mass, not 6. The smallest possible FTL-capable
carrier is Mass 12, thrust-2.

The rest of the post was correct though <g>

Kaime asked:

>What about page 16 of the Full Thrust rulebook, top left cornor where
it
>state only specific ships can have fighters also giving hanger
capacity
>limits?  I find no place stating this rule is no longer somehow in
effect.

The limitations on which hull types may carry fighters is essentially a
part of the FT2 design system, which is completely replaced (FB1 p.10,
first sentence). At least that was the intent with the FB1 rules, but
it could have been stated earlier.

The FT2 limits on how many fighter bays each type of ship may carry
quite obviously do not apply in FB1 - the "official" designs published
in that very same book don't follow them! The FSE SDN has 3 fighter
bays (FT2 p.16 only allow 2 bays on SDNs), and the FSE CV has 7 fighter
bays (FT2 p.16 only allows 6 bays on CVs). (The Phalon CV in FB2  has
*8* fighter bays.)

The limits on which sizes of ships that may carry fighters aren't
*intended* to apply in FB1, but I don't think there's any rule which
actually says so explicitly. However, Mass 80 carriers *are* explicitly
allowed  - see FB1 p. 12:

"Standard Ship Classifications And Typical Mass Ratings:
Escort Carrier		CVE	Mass 80-120"

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.

Prev: Re: WotD Laser Targeting Next: Re: (FT) Point Value for Hulls