Prev: Re: [FT] ECM Next: Re: [FT] ECM

Re: [SG] WotW

From: Derk Groeneveld <derk@c...>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 20:21:51 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: Re: [SG] WotW

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Oerjan Ohlson wrote:

> Derk Groeneveld wrote:
>
> >I have to admit I'd like to see more area effect weapons, such as
> >grenades. Some of the folks at my gaming club tend to field regular
> >firing squads, standing shoulder-to-shoulder. Best way to train that
> out
> >of them is area effect weaponry.
>
> But with the SGII ground scale (1" = 10 meters), putting the figures
> "shoulder to shoulder" means that they are in fact standing *5-10
> meters* apart. The lethal radius of today's 40mm grenades (which is
> what most of today's automatic grenade launchers fire) and hand
> grenades fall in that range.

Mmm. Isn't the range at which injuries will occur a good deal more than
the _lethal_ radius? If I understood correctly, lethal radius is where
you
are very likely to kill an unarmoured man.

Also, defensive hand grenades have a far larger lethal radius, due to
their fragmentation shell.

> Using today's realism as the measuring stick (always dangerous in an
SF
> game), you *might* hit two adjacent figures in base-to-base contact
> with a single hand grenade :-/

It would actually make sense to do so, as modern hand grenades have
their
explosive area simply because it is counter-productive to make
(offensive)
hand grenades that will have the thrower and his buddies smack in the
midst of the danger zone ;) However, for defensive hand grenades the
story
is altogether different (since the idea is to throw 'm and crawl back in
your foxhole, I guess)

Cheers,

  Derk
Version: GnuPG v1.0.4 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Made with pgp4pine

iD8DBQE6w31EJXH58oo6ncURAprYAKC6hO3TLxnUi7zLLKTJivitEimCtgCgqsJd
cRxpVp+EN8l/FrhGOJ5XstY=
=SAmc

Prev: Re: [FT] ECM Next: Re: [FT] ECM