Prev: Re: [OT] Paper Starships Next: Re: [OT] Space floor plans

[OT] barbarians

From: adrian.johnson@s...
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 03:36:24 -0500
Subject: [OT] barbarians

>Tom Replies:
>Hmmm. I musta missed that in history. I agree with your comment about
"Not
>Greek" and "Not Roman" meaning (in their eyes) barbarians. OTOH, since
they
>never conquered the land of the Kelts and Druids (just build bleedin'
>Hadrian's Wall) which is now called Scotland, I can't possibly see how
you
>conclude "they conquered the part of the world worth having". Sorry
John,
>but in this one instance, you're just plain wrong. ;)
>
>Tom
>Aut Augere Au Mori.... (my Clan motto).... ;)

I notice, however, that your Clan motto is in Latin...

Just a wee observation there, laddie...

The Romans did ok...

And sure, they made it far into Scotland (re John A's comment about the
resupply dump ruins he saw near Edinburgh).  They just never bothered
*conquering* north of the wall.  No percentage in it - the northern
tribes
were seen as not worth the fight for the terrain gained.  They sent
punitive expiditions north of the wall, like the semi-mythical 9th
Legion
who "vanished without a trace" - but never put serious effort into
taking
and holding that part of the world.

Prev: Re: [OT] Paper Starships Next: Re: [OT] Space floor plans