Prev: Re: non-painting record was: 2300 AD --> DS2/SG2 Next: RE: The GZG Digest V2 #378

Re: [FT] UNSC

From: Richard and Emily Bell <rlbell@s...>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 17:37:35 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] UNSC

Corey Burger wrote:

> Another point to consider is that while the UN will have a smaller
fleet,
> it would want to be more powerful, so as to "stare down" possible
threats,
> and nifty new tech is a really really good way to do that
>
> Corey

The problem with the UN having better toys than the others is that the
UN is
funded by the member states and the FSE, NAC, and ESU control the
permenent
seats of the security council (a continuing sorepoint to the NSL).  The
UNSC
is not going to have a fleet large enough to do more than annoy the FSE,
NAC,
or ESU, as it is against their interests.

I actually envision the UNSC fleet having modern small vessels, but the
larger
ships are provided by the major powers to keep shipyards busy.	Given
the
economic difficulties of prosecuting wars, it would not be too
surprising if
the major powers paid their dues "donating" vessels that would take too
long
to fix to be of further use in the current conflict.  The UNSC fleet
would
have no trouble facing down the PAU, Islamic Federation, or any of the
lesser
powers, but it is not in the same league as the big four.

I suspect that the UN in Tuffleyverse is still petitioning the NAC for
the
back dues owed by the former-USA.

Prev: Re: non-painting record was: 2300 AD --> DS2/SG2 Next: RE: The GZG Digest V2 #378