Prev: Re: Tin Cans versus Dreadnoughts Next: Re: Tin Cans versus Dreadnoughts

Re: Nukes was: Tin Cans versus Dreadnoughts

From: Richard and Emily Bell <rlbell@s...>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 14:01:33 -0500
Subject: Re: Nukes was: Tin Cans versus Dreadnoughts

"kh.ranitzsch" wrote:

> > A lot would depend on how bad you wanted to take out that Kirov, but
it
> can be
> > done a lot more easily than with a flock of Harpoons. Funny enough,
FT
> doesn't
> > have anything equivalent to nukes...
>
> Indeed, there are very few wargames that seriously have nukes. They
are just
> too devastating to make for a fun tactical game.
> When was the last time you used a nuke in a game ?

We use them all the time in GEV and OGRE, and Nuclear War is not the
same with
all of the nukes removed.  I think the Fleet series of games had the
most
interesting mechanic for nuclear weapons.  Two things happened if the
use of
nuclear weapons was theoretically allowed in a scenario.  The first was
that
nuclear capable units could make a limited amount of uber-attacks, and
the
stacking restrictions were removed (ie: the rules assumed that nuclear
weapons
were available, even if players could not deploy them).

Prev: Re: Tin Cans versus Dreadnoughts Next: Re: Tin Cans versus Dreadnoughts