Prev: RE: GAC/MDC/HVAC/RFAC technobabble for the uninitiated... Next: [ft] wotw - needlebeams

Re: [FT] WotW (Finish EMP, Start Needle)

From: Richard and Emily Bell <rlbell@s...>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 19:40:14 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] WotW (Finish EMP, Start Needle)

devans@uneb.edu wrote:

> > >As they stand now, Needle beams are "flavor" weapons with IMO/IME
little
> > real game effectiveness. Sure "Pirate ships have Needles to cripple
their
> > prey" Just try it in a real scenario.
> >
> > And try to justify it.  "Skiper, we've just captured a 2000MCr
merchant."
> > "Great!  Send over a prize crew and take it back to base."
> > "Ah, sir, well, there's a teeny little problem with that.  We blew
out
> its
> > drives, it'll need at least a month in a shipyard to fix."
>
> As has been stated, running an 'opponent's' ship may be as problematic
as
> fixing it. In SFB, a pirate is more likely to transship than to
attempt to
> fly the old one; plenty of good, arguable PSB for it.
>
> If the cargo is valuable enough, and the ship isn't, needle beams'
> selectivity is exactly what the doctor orders.

Historically; pirate vessels were small cargo ships with more guns than
the
merchantmen they preyed on.  They would overhaul the target and fire
until it
surrendered, or was dismasted.	The pirates would pick through the
cargo,
transferring the valuable items to the pirate vessel.  Only if the
vessel was
captured intact and not a sluggish tub, would the pirates consider
sailing in
it.  So remember, pirate vessels, unlike commerce raiders, are only
upgunned
(relatively speaking) freighters with extra thrust, not warships.

Prev: RE: GAC/MDC/HVAC/RFAC technobabble for the uninitiated... Next: [ft] wotw - needlebeams